Community Forum

Kind of Stumped on Colour

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
WhiskeyGurl92
Visit My Farm

Kind of Stumped on Colour

Post by WhiskeyGurl92 »

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2382650

I was thinking Smokey Black since stud is Cremello and mare is black, but she seems too light for a single cream. Is she a Smokey Black or does she have something else in her?
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Kind of Stumped on Colour

Post by AltNazarach »

WhiskeyGurl92 wrote:https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2382650

I was thinking Smokey Black since stud is Cremello and mare is black, but she seems too light for a single cream. Is she a Smokey Black or does she have something else in her?
Hi there, she is also silver (see her silver mane and feetlocks? that is the sign); silver colors black based coats in a solid yellowish sheen. also, she has a pink nose - that means she also got champagne from her sire - and indeed a single cream from him (her dam also carries one, but MSQ is not white, so she only has one).
For example, a silver smoky black would look like him:
as a foal

as a yearling:
(he is quite heavy on sooty, but the sheen should be close)

MSQ has a pink nose, indicating champagne - champagne on a pure smoky black horse looks like this:
on a yearling

now just imagine a mashup and you get your beautiful lady ;)

Her coloration would be called a Silver Classic Cream (E/e a/a Cr/n Ch/n Z/n)

I hope this helps :)
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AltNazarach wrote:
WhiskeyGurl92 wrote:
Actually this little girl is a Smoky Cream - black base + 2 creams. If she was a Smoky Black Silver (black + 1 cream + silver) the skin around her nose and eyes would black and her eyes themselves would be darker. Her pink skin does not have freckles, so she is not champagne. The pink skin and light eyes means she is a double dilute. In this case that double dilution is two cream genes.

Also, as to the champagne - neither parent has champagne, so there is no source for it. But both parents did carry a cream - the sire two of them and the dam a single (the dam is Smoky Black rather than plain Black, as evidenced by the bluish-black color of her foal picture rather than reddish-black).
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Silverine wrote:
AltNazarach wrote:
Actually this little girl is a Smoky Cream - black base + 2 creams. If she was a Smoky Black Silver (black + 1 cream + silver) the skin around her nose and eyes would black and her eyes themselves would be darker. Her pink skin does not have freckles, so she is not champagne. The pink skin and light eyes means she is a double dilute. In this case that double dilution is two cream genes.

Also, as to the champagne - neither parent has champagne, so there is no source for it. But both parents did carry a cream - the sire two of them and the dam a single (the dam is Smoky Black rather than plain Black, as evidenced by the bluish-black color of her foal picture rather than reddish-black).
But her mane and tail are lighter than her base color - so definily silver. And for smokey cream the color itself would be really off (and double creams are something really familiar to me...)

smokey creams look like this:

which she definily does not... :/
WhiskeyGurl92
Visit My Farm

Post by WhiskeyGurl92 »

Thanks everyone, her stud's sire was also Cremello and his dam was a buckskin, while her dam's sire looks to have been silver something and her dam looks like a black based grey.
Parsnip
Visit My Farm

Post by Parsnip »

Silver smokey cream, I think. Dam's smokey black - her muzzle's not pink.
I want to see how she grows up- I've got a stallion who I think is double cream champagne silver dapple black spotted blanket appaloosa.
For reference, this is my silver dapple smokey black Shetland (look at foal pics)Smoke and Mirrors

And my stallionSnow Prince
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AltNazarach wrote:
WhiskeyGurl92 wrote:
But her mane and tail are lighter than her base color - so definily silver. And for smokey cream the color itself would be really off (and double creams are something really familiar to me...)

smokey creams look like this:

which she definily does not... :/
Parsnip wrote:
Yes, her mane and tail are lighter. But this is due to natural variation in gene expression. Check out some of Totina's Smokey Creams for examples. And just because, here is my sister's Smokey Cream Turk stallion (he is pure Turk all the way back to the AC, absolutely no possibility of silver or any dilution other than cream and dun). Notice how his tail is lighter than his body.

And here he is as a 6-month-old, with nearly identical coloration to the filly.

If the filly in question were silver her body color would be washed out as well. Her body is lighter than the adult you posted because she has not fully shed her foal coat yet. (See the difference in the coat of the stallion above as an adult vs as a foal.) She would appear much closer to white than she currently does with the addition of silver. She would be much closer to this horse, though he is a cream/pearl rather than a double cream:

I am also extensively familiar with double creams, cream/pearls, double pearls, and all three of the previous in combination with silver due to on-going color studies. This filly's mane and tail are nowhere near light enough for silver, and there are absolutely no indications of it in her body.

Also, though her sire could potentially carry a silver gene, if we discount the filly in question as a possibility he has never thrown a visibly silver foal, making it extremely unlikely that he carries it. This leaves nowhere for this filly to have inherited it from.
Turkmenes
Visit My Farm

Post by Turkmenes »

And here's a Smoky Cream AC Turk with a light mane and tail.

Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Also, if you look at the filly's dam, her foal picture shows clearly lighter mane and tail, and she has ended up black with no silver. Foal plume, you might say, like the foal pangare that has nothing to do with true pangare. Many foals have lighter manes and tails than they end up with in their adult coat.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Silverine wrote: Yes, her mane and tail are lighter. But this is due to natural variation in gene expression. Check out some of Totina's Smokey Creams for examples. And just because, here is my sister's Smokey Cream Turk stallion (he is pure Turk all the way back to the AC, absolutely no possibility of silver or any dilution other than cream and dun). Notice how his tail is lighter than his body.

And here he is as a 6-month-old, with nearly identical coloration to the filly.

If the filly in question were silver her body color would be washed out as well. Her body is lighter than the adult you posted because she has not fully shed her foal coat yet. (See the difference in the coat of the stallion above as an adult vs as a foal.) She would appear much closer to white than she currently does with the addition of silver. She would be much closer to this horse, though he is a cream/pearl rather than a double cream:

I am also extensively familiar with double creams, cream/pearls, double pearls, and all three of the previous in combination with silver due to on-going color studies. This filly's mane and tail are nowhere near light enough for silver, and there are absolutely no indications of it in her body.

Also, though her sire could potentially carry a silver gene, if we discount the filly in question as a possibility he has never thrown a visibly silver foal, making it extremely unlikely that he carries it. This leaves nowhere for this filly to have inherited it from.
geez, i know that a double cream with silver would look completely different, i haven't said that at all i though her to be that; just what seemed more likely for me that she was not - but after taking a look at some of these pics i also wasn't aware that the tail and mane coloration could shift that much for a pure smoky cream; so thanks for giving these examples :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 1:26 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:26 pm