Community Forum

Does he have Champagne?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Does he have Champagne?

Post by Caramelapple3 »

This little guy is a colt I have been trying to train myself and I love his coat color. But I don't know what it is and am a little confused by it. I'm thinking he maybe might be some sort of champagne? I don't think I can see much spots on his nose, though. But his dam definitely has champagne. He is still in his foal coat, so it may be hard to tell exactly what color he is...
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Does he have Champagne?

Post by AltNazarach »

Caramelapple3 wrote:

This little guy is a colt I have been trying to train myself and I love his coat color. But I don't know what it is and am a little confused by it. I'm thinking he maybe might be some sort of champagne? I don't think I can see much spots on his nose, though. But his dam definitely has champagne. He is still in his foal coat, so it may be hard to tell exactly what color he is...
Hi there, he is a silver amber champagne with some roan going on.
The silver came from his sire - a silver bay. The amber champagne - meaning champagne (pink skin with freckles) on a bay base, as well as the roan (little white hairs covering the body and stretching just over the cheeks) came from the dam.
So his gen-code would be along the lines of:
E_ A_ Ch/n Rn/n Z/n
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
oh, and I'm pretty sure he has tiger eye as well - his eyes are green instead of blue; his dam definitly has a fully expressed tiger eye - tiger eye is recessive, so 2 are needed to be visible - and his sire has a hidden one (from his dam).
so it's actually E_ A_ Ch/n Rn/n Z/n t/t
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Post by Caramelapple3 »

AltNazarach wrote:
Caramelapple3 wrote:
oh, and I'm pretty sure he has tiger eye as well - his eyes are green instead of blue; his dam definitly has a fully expressed tiger eye - tiger eye is recessive, so 2 are needed to be visible - and his sire has a hidden one (from his dam).
so it's actually E_ A_ Ch/n Rn/n Z/n t/t
Thank you. I thought I saw a bit of roan but I wasn't sure, and I totally missed the tiger eye!
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Caramelapple3 wrote: Thank you. I thought I saw a bit of roan but I wasn't sure, and I totally missed the tiger eye!
No probs :) i love playing color detective (though not always with multiple dillutes) and he is fairly obvious if you know the signs ;) roan can be best differentiated from dun if the lightened areas cover only the cheeks - dun would also lighten the upper head

f.e. this is a black roan

and this is a dun

if you zoom in its much easier to see :)

And yeah, the eyes are often missed if people ask for the coloring , but i like being thorough and tend to include them as they are sometimes indicators for some coat genes; like, cream carrieres would always have blue tiger eyes instead of green; grey or pale blue eyes are most often caused by champagne or cream, and pale eyes that darken with age are a sign of pearl ;)
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Post by Caramelapple3 »

AltNazarach wrote:
Caramelapple3 wrote: Thank you. I thought I saw a bit of roan but I wasn't sure, and I totally missed the tiger eye!
No probs :) i love playing color detective (though not always with multiple dillutes) and he is fairly obvious if you know the signs ;) roan can be best differentiated from dun if the lightened areas cover only the cheeks - dun would also lighten the upper head

f.e. this is a black roan

and this is a dun

if you zoom in its much easier to see :)

And yeah, the eyes are often missed if people ask for the coloring , but i like being thorough and tend to include them as they are sometimes indicators for some coat genes; like, cream carrieres would always have blue tiger eyes instead of green; grey or pale blue eyes are most often caused by champagne or cream, and pale eyes that darken with age are a sign of pearl ;)
:)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 11:42 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:42 am