Community Forum

Roan?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Jockey's Holding
Visit My Farm

Roan?

Post by Jockey's Holding »

Hi! So, I was training this guy and did not think that he had gotten the roan gene from his father, but I'm beginning to wonder if he did:
NSA Queen's Atlas

His face and hind legs are darker than the rest of his body, but it's kind of faint to me. Could I count him as a palomino roan? Also, he has the two socks. I believe that I've heard that's a minimal expression of some gene, but what gene was that (if it exists; my brain may be playing tricks on me). Finally, if he does have roan, what is the likelihood of him passing that gene on if I breed him to a mare that is not roan? What about his brother (https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2418550)? Is he very likely to pass the trait on if I breed him to a non-roan mare? Thanks guys, I know that was a lot! :)
- Jockey's Holding
"A racehorse is the only animal that can take several thousand people for a ride at the same time."
Jockey at No Surrender Acres, proud breeder of the Thoroughbred, Hanoverian, and Quarter Horse since 2018.
h0rsey
Location: Anywhere the wind blows (doesn't really matter to meeeeee)
Visit My Farm

Re: Roan?

Post by h0rsey »

Yes, he would be a palomino roan with front stockings :)
Jockey's Holding
Visit My Farm

h0rsey wrote:Yes, he would be a palomino roan with front stockings :)
Thank you!
"A racehorse is the only animal that can take several thousand people for a ride at the same time."
Jockey at No Surrender Acres, proud breeder of the Thoroughbred, Hanoverian, and Quarter Horse since 2018.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jockey's Holding wrote:...
To expand a little on h0rsey's answer.
He also appears to have dun, which is contributing to the body mask you're seeing, alongside the roan. I don't know if you can see them, but on the upper parts of his legs, there's faint striping. The dun appears to have come from his dame.
He has a 50/50 shot of passing on the roan.
The stockings are from the tobiano gene (all face and leg markings are from tobiano). That is the only gene we have responsible for chrome, yet released into the game.
His brother also only has a 50/50 for passing roan.

Some horses seem to tend to 'throw around' their genes, some seem to tend to not. It's supposed to be a flip of the coin, but it certainly does seem like even though the percentages state mathematical fact, sometimes what we get is more-than or less-than.
What does this mean? Well, that either brother could have all roan foals, all non-roan foals, or an equal foaling of roans and non-roans. However, like both brothers, as long as you breed to a non-roan mare, all of the roan foals from the match will also have a 50/50 chance of passing it onto their offspring.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Jockey's Holding
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
Jockey's Holding wrote:...
He also appears to have dun, which is contributing to the body mask you're seeing, alongside the roan. I don't know if you can see them, but on the upper parts of his legs, there's faint striping. The dun appears to have come from his dame.
The stockings are from the tobiano gene (all face and leg markings are from tobiano). That is the only gene we have responsible for chrome, yet released into the game.

Some horses seem to tend to 'throw around' their genes, some seem to tend to not. It's supposed to be a flip of the coin, but it certainly does seem like even though the percentages state mathematical fact, sometimes what we get is more-than or less-than.
What does this mean? Well, that either brother could have all roan foals, all non-roan foals, or an equal foaling of roans and non-roans. However, like both brothers, as long as you breed to a non-roan mare, all of the roan foals from the match will also have a 50/50 chance of passing it onto their offspring.
Thank you so much! I didn't even know that dun roans existed. :shock:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jockey's Holding wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Thank you so much! I didn't even know that dun roans existed. :shock:
We get some crazy combinations on HWO. The interesting part about it, is that all of these colors on HWO can ALSO exist in real life. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Jockey's Holding
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote: We get some crazy combinations on HWO. The interesting part about it, is that all of these colors on HWO can ALSO exist in real life. :mrgreen:
That's awesome! I can't wait to see what else I can breed-- I might need your help again identifying the color though because beyond the basics, I'm clueless. Anyways, thanks for saving me once again! :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jockey's Holding wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: We get some crazy combinations on HWO. The interesting part about it, is that all of these colors on HWO can ALSO exist in real life. :mrgreen:
That's awesome! I can't wait to see what else I can breed-- I might need your help again identifying the color though because beyond the basics, I'm clueless. Anyways, thanks for saving me once again! :D
Colors are difficult, it's a long learning process. If you decide to learn them, you will eventually get there. Start with the basics, then build upon that and leave the dilutions (cream, pearl, champagne) for last. This is the way most of us learn the colors as well. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 4:08 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:08 am