Community Forum

Sooty?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
askeek
Visit My Farm

Sooty?

Post by askeek »

Is this the sooty gene on these horses? Or are they just dark and the dark bay different because of the silver gene?

E͓̽K͓̽D͓̽A͓̽ Stables. Breeding dressage champions.
horsesfurever
Visit My Farm

Re: Sooty?

Post by horsesfurever »

countrygal23 wrote:
I am only spotting sooty on the first horse, E͓̽K͓̽D͓̽A͓̽ Sunkissed Angel. The other two horses do not look much darker to me, after comparing pictures of them when they were younger with their current looks. The darkness you are seeing may be from training, as that is the only significant difference I see. As for your question on whether the silver is making E͓̽K͓̽D͓̽A͓̽ Nightly Reign appear darker, I don't think that is the case. As far as I know, and if this is incorrect feel free to correct me, silver does not affect the coat (unless it is on a black base), just the mane and tail.
Rhorsegirl80
Visit My Farm

Post by Rhorsegirl80 »

countrygal23 wrote:Is this the sooty gene on these horses? Or are they just dark and the dark bay different because of the silver gene?

They are just dark, Sooty would be like this horse
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2125699
Look at his pictures in gallery
Harlow Way Equestrian Center

Quality Breeding & Selling
Proud Breeder Of The Thoroughbred Horse & Other Prospects
[/center]
askeek
Visit My Farm

Post by askeek »

Rhorsegirl80 wrote:
countrygal23 wrote:Is this the sooty gene on these horses? Or are they just dark and the dark bay different because of the silver gene?

They are just dark, Sooty would be like this horse
Hmm ok. So do they just look darker in some areas because of training?
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

countrygal23 wrote:
Rhorsegirl80 wrote: They are just dark, Sooty would be like this horse
(Sorry for butting in here! )

Training does not cause areas to look darker, it actually causes the opposite. It gives the horse a shinier coat due to the muscles it now has.
The fact that your horses look dark is because of the sooty gene. Rhorsegirl80 has a horse that has a high expression of the sooty gene and we can actually see some dapples. However, the fact the their horse is so dark does not mean that every sooty horse will have that level of darkness on their coat colour.

Your horses actually have the sooty gene but they do not have a high expression of the gene.

The first one definitely has the sooty gene. Because of the fact that your first horse is Palomino, which means that her mane and tail should be almost white and it is not, you can easily spot the sooty gene. Her mane and tail should of looked whiter but because of the sooty gene they do not.

The second horse has the sooty gene as well. His coat colour is actually dark altogether so the tactic of trying to notice if there are darker spots is really difficult. However, if you check his mane and tale you can see that it is actually darker than it should of been. Plus, we can see from his pedigree ( the sire's dam is your first horse) that he carries the sooty gene.

The third horse is a difficult one since he does not have a light coloured mane and tail to help me but there is a slight darkening on his coat (specifically on his shoulders) so, yes, I do believe that he carries the sooty gene

I am not sure if the fact that your horses have the dun gene as well (1st horse, you can see tha mask on his face and legs. 2nd horse has a stripe on their back and faint stripes on their legs- the 3rd one has faint stripes on his legs as well) darkens their colour not but I am pretty sure that it is because fo the sooty gene.
askeek
Visit My Farm

Post by askeek »

Veterinarian wrote:
countrygal23 wrote:
(Sorry for butting in here! )

Training does not cause areas to look darker, it actually causes the opposite. It gives the horse a shinier coat due to the muscles it now has.
The fact that your horses look dark is because of the sooty gene. Rhorsegirl80 has a horse that has a high expression of the sooty gene and we can actually see some dapples. However, the fact the their horse is so dark does not mean that every sooty horse will have that level of darkness on their coat colour.

Your horses actually have the sooty gene but they do not have a high expression of the gene.

The first one definitely has the sooty gene. Because of the fact that your first horse is Palomino, which means that her mane and tail should be almost white and it is not, you can easily spot the sooty gene. Her mane and tail should of looked whiter but because of the sooty gene they do not.

The second horse has the sooty gene as well. His coat colour is actually dark altogether so the tactic of trying to notice if there are darker spots is really difficult. However, if you check his mane and tale you can see that it is actually darker than it should of been. Plus, we can see from his pedigree ( the sire's dam is your first horse) that he carries the sooty gene.

The third horse is a difficult one since he does not have a light coloured mane and tail to help me but there is a slight darkening on his coat (specifically on his shoulders) so, yes, I do believe that he carries the sooty gene

I am not sure if the fact that your horses have the dun gene as well (1st horse, you can see tha mask on his face and legs. 2nd horse has a stripe on their back and faint stripes on their legs- the 3rd one has faint stripes on his legs as well) darkens their colour not but I am pretty sure that it is because fo the sooty gene.
Thanks for the info! With the training darkening the coat I meant that since certain areas are lightened, other areas appear to be darker in comparison. I'm glad I was correct in guessing sooty though! I have other horses who are fully trained that do not have the darker areas on their shoulders but I wasn't sure if it was a coat colour variation or sooty. Many of my horses do carry the dun gene and from what I've seen, it tends to almost desaturate the coat slightly in addition to a dorsal stripe and leg markings.
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

countrygal23 wrote:
Thanks for the info! With the training darkening the coat I meant that since certain areas are lightened, other areas appear to be darker in comparison. I'm glad I was correct in guessing sooty though! I have other horses who are fully trained that do not have the darker areas on their shoulders but I wasn't sure if it was a coat colour variation or sooty. Many of my horses do carry the dun gene and from what I've seen, it tends to almost desaturate the coat slightly in addition to a dorsal stripe and leg markings.
Remember though! I am not expert :lol: I could always be wrong XD
Devolare
Visit My Farm

Post by Devolare »

I'm coming late to this party, but mostly because I think there's something I can add to the sooty discussion.

You really can't go by whether or not certain sections of a horse look darker at any particular moment (this includes the mane and tail). Small sections of the horse could be "sooty" or the sooty may not even be visible until they reach a certain age-- and isn't visible on foals with exception. This is why documenting and taking gallery pictures of the horses as they get older is very important.

This here is Baltica:

She has such a stark sooty so it's easy to see the progression in her gallery as well as to see how it only affects her neck region. At 4 yo it was really hard to see, but as she got older it gets easier.

Here is a horse with just a sooty rump:

Her tail is still fairly bright, even with such a dark rear. If it were subtler it would be much harder to tell.

Then there's this guy, also with a sooty rump:

But you really couldn't tell he even had it till maybe 7yo and even then it's only noticeable because of how much darker it is compared to when he was 3.

In regards to these horses:
Horse 1 has sooty. I suspect horse 2 does as well but it's hard to tell. You really can't go by how dark the horse's mane/tail is because that is totally within the bounds of how dark silver manes can get. Plus that was their normal color as a foal before sooty set in. But it's also very early, so just take note of how the colors change/don't change as the horses get older. I don't see sooty on horse 3, but it could just be really faint so keep an eye on it as it gets older.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 5:41 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:41 am