Community Forum

I'm Confused...

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

I'm Confused...

Post by Caramelapple3 »

So, this filly seems to be cremello, but I don't understand how that is possible.
This is her dam.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2416919
She's is chestnut and her dam was black and her sire was also chestnut.
This is the filly's sire
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2411331
He is a buckskin, so he only has one copy of the cream gene, right? Even if his dam was black and his sire was palomino? If that's the case, then how can a buckskin and a chestnut produce a cremello? :shock: The filly should have not been cremello if only one of her parents carries one copy of the cream gene. Or am I missing something? I'm just confused.
Last edited by Caramelapple3 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devolare
Visit My Farm

Re: I'm Confused...

Post by Devolare »

That's cause it's not a cremello at all.

What you most likely have is a Palomino Pearl-- One cream gene and one pearl gene on chestnut. Pearl is recessive and a single copy is not visible unless in cases like these where you have another cream gene. While it looks very similar to cremello, you can kinda tell that it's not based on how dark/warm it is. True cremellos tend to be closer to a grey-ish white.
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Post by Caramelapple3 »

Devolare wrote:That's cause it's not a cremello at all.

What you most likely have is a Palomino Pearl-- One cream gene and one pearl gene on chestnut. Pearl is recessive and a single copy is not visible unless in cases like these where you have another cream gene. While it looks very similar to cremello, you can kinda tell that it's not based on how dark/warm it is. True cremellos tend to be closer to a grey-ish white.
Thank you, that makes more sense now. I'm not that good at spotting pearl, nor am I very familiar with how the gene works. I see what you mean by her color being warmer than other cremellos. Now I'm going through her pedigree wondering which parent she got the pearl from. :lol:
Devolare
Visit My Farm

Post by Devolare »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
Devolare wrote:That's cause it's not a cremello at all.

Thank you, that makes more sense now. I'm not that good at spotting pearl, nor am I very familiar with how the gene works. I see what you mean by her color being warmer than other cremellos. Now I'm going through her pedigree wondering which parent she got the pearl from. :lol:
Honestly that'll be the true treasure hunt. lol To give some pointers, it's somewhere on the mom's side (since the dad isn't a buckskin pearl) and you can stop going down any lines if you see horses with only a single cream gene visible.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 9:15 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:15 am