Community Forum

Silver Palomino?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ArcticDahlia
Visit My Farm

Silver Palomino?

Post by ArcticDahlia »

So I've been trying to get better with colors and reading up and getting advice from the forums.. I was making slow but steady progress and then I got this girl:
Lena

When she was born I was like "Oh I got this! Palomino! I'm getting better :D"

And then.. her front half happened? The mane is an expression of the silver gene if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure why her front half is so much darker and greyer. I'd think it has something to do with the mane being silver and the tail being white so does that have something to do with the silver gene? I didn't think either of her parents had that though. Can someone please help explain what causes the weird coloration here?
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: Silver Palomino?

Post by Tjigra »

ArcticDahlia wrote:So I've been trying to get better with colors and reading up and getting advice from the forums.. I was making slow but steady progress and then I got this girl:
Lena

When she was born I was like "Oh I got this! Palomino! I'm getting better :D"

And then.. her front half happened? The mane is an expression of the silver gene if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure why her front half is so much darker and greyer. I'd think it has something to do with the mane being silver and the tail being white so does that have something to do with the silver gene? I didn't think either of her parents had that though. Can someone please help explain what causes the weird coloration here?
You're right about the palomino part. Silver, however, wouldn't be visible on palomino, as it only works on black hair, and palomino, just like other chestnut based colours, doesn't have any black hair for silver to be expressed on.

What happened to her front half is sooty. Sooty is a gene that turns the horse progressively darker as it ages, and it can have many different expressions - from barely visible to turning the horse completely black. It also has very different coverage, so to speak - it can affect whole horse, only mane and tail, only body, only the top of the horse, only the bottom part (legs and belly), and sometimes it works like this - covering half of the horse from one end. Everything affected by sooty gradually turns darker, looks a bit like getting dirty.
She might also have dun, but I am not 100% sure.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 5:19 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:19 am