Community Forum

Interactive list with search function

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Interactive list with search function

Post by Totina »

I have made an interactive list with all possible gene combinations and their names where you can search for specific genes in drop down menus by name in a free text search box. The intention is to fulfill my coat colour guide with a more structured and clean list where it's easy to find what you're looking for.

While the charts are great for beginners to read all about genetics and what they look like, the option to show bigger images without it becoming a bit of a mess with a lot of scrolling on the page was the biggest problem. I realized I had to do something else than using the limited amount of functions in these forums to make that happen. The result can be found on this link.

The webpage is currently hosted on my university's servers until I find a better option, as this is not a long term solution unfortunately. But until then fell free to use it when searching for specific coats by genetics or name and to help you decide what colour your horses are.

I will add more pictures to the list and I would like to hear feedback from you if there's something that's incorrect or not working. I will link to this list in my original coat colour guide as well.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Interactive list with search function

Post by BlackOak2 »

I like the new interactive chart! It looks big and complex, but once starting to choose the different genes involved, :D it shrinks really quick. The pop up horse images also appear to work great! This is set up quite a bit easier than the other, although the other off-site one had it's advantages as well. I found that other off-site one did take too much time to load and navigating it was alright, but again, there were downsides. The one on-site is (and you're right about it) a good starting point.

Thank you for undertaking a project on this scale. I know I'm not the only one of the community that appreciates it or that references it sometimes almost constantly.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

I'm still figuring out how to best display different variations of coats and if I should make foal pictures available as well. Right now only black + cream combinations have foal pictures since they look a bit different from non-cream black based foals.

I also haven't decided if I should make tobiano searchable through the drop down menu or just have it displayed as an additional button (although I have no tobiano pictures implemented yet). For every new gene that is supposed to be searchable through the columns the list will grow exponentially, which is making the code a bit messy and the list will contain several thousands of combinations (it's over a thousand named coats in the list already).

I'm open for suggestions and if people prefer to see more searchable options through the drop down menus instead (if it makes it easier to understand and navigate through the list) then I have to rethink my current setup. That's why I want the feedback to make the list as easy to use as possible.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:I'm still figuring out how to best display different variations of coats and if I should make foal pictures available as well. Right now only black + cream combinations have foal pictures since they look a bit different from non-cream black based foals.

I also haven't decided if I should make tobiano searchable through the drop down menu or just have it displayed as an additional button (although I have no tobiano pictures implemented yet). For every new gene that is supposed to be searchable through the columns the list will grow exponentially, which is making the code a bit messy and the list will contain several thousands of combinations (it's over a thousand named coats in the list already).

I'm open for suggestions and if people prefer to see more searchable options through the drop down menus instead (if it makes it easier to understand and navigate through the list) then I have to rethink my current setup. That's why I want the feedback to make the list as easy to use as possible.
Maybe break it up between the basic color combinations, dun, pangare, roan, flaxen, silver, graying. Then have the dilutions on a separate one, cream, pearl, champagne.
This will allow you to open all the 'white' genes on a separate one.
The tiger eye, appaloosa and tobiano and other paints... would that make it too big? would be covered across all of them.

I'm not well read on the color genes... lets see, we have then rabicano, sabino... right... they should likely be included with what?

Okay, after doing a brief internet search, I have found the following:
pinto
overo
sabino
splashed white
dominant white

These are the other main ones that haven't been added yet. I'm sure there could be others. Considering the white might be the largest one, probably take up it's own section. White's wouldn't be included on the basic that covers the dun, pangare, roan, flaxen, silver, graying. Pinto, overo and sabino... that could arguably be added into the appaloosa, tobiano and tiger eye.

So in the end, there would be four.
Basic and basic modifiers.
Dilutes.
True White (would the definition 'true' be correct? To separate it out from our pseudo-white)
Patterned & Tiger Eye

It would still make the three last one's fairly large, because of the inclusion of the basic modifiers, but it wouldn't make them absolutely huge like including them in the original layout.

Does that make any sense or help in defining that? I'm not sure that does help at all though. :|
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Oh, and no foal pictures beyond a basic, unless it defines a difference, like the smoky. Though that might be nice too... I don't think we need to see every deviation of champagne foals, once we see what one looks like.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

I'll try and see what I can do with the list. It will be many thousands of gene combinations and a lot will not be included from the start. Perhaps I'll just add more search options later when I get more images to search for. Possibly leave the minimal tobiano pattern that doesn't change the name of the coat as an additional button only, like 'bay with socks' for example.

And you're right about the foal images. Most look very similar anyway and it's only the black base + cream combinations that have an important difference as their adult colour is indistinguishable from non-cream but foals look don't.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:I'll try and see what I can do with the list. It will be many thousands of gene combinations and a lot will not be included from the start. Perhaps I'll just add more search options later when I get more images to search for. Possibly leave the minimal tobiano pattern that doesn't change the name of the coat as an additional button only, like 'bay with socks' for example.

And you're right about the foal images. Most look very similar anyway and it's only the black base + cream combinations that have an important difference as their adult colour is indistinguishable from non-cream but foals look don't.
For gene color combinations, there's not too much streamlining that can be done. Except leave out duplicates, leave out same-same looks and leave out unchangables, like a single pearl simply won't affect the coat. But I think you've pretty much covered all of that.

I think the final conclusion is the same as it's always been. It's massive and no matter how it's handled, it will remain massive.

I think, since the tobiano (and other paint patterns) doesn't really change anything, but essentially, just add white patterns... choose a simple base color with tobiano, and offer a couple different examples for what the tobiano looks like. For instance, choose a black horse line, then do the minimal expression and maybe an additional 7 expressions showing a few different pattern coverages with the last one the 'complete' pattern. Then at that point, you could arguably drop tobiano and the forthcoming paint-style patterns right from the list as a representative example on ALL of the colors. That might also be able to be done the same when the white genes come out. But I've not read-up on them so I could be really overstating what I think should be. :|
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

I've done some changes to the list and the information given in the text on top of the page. Tobiano is searchable by the drop down menu but Grey and Leopard patterns will be available as additional pictures and only filtered out through the free text search option.

I hope the text explains how it works without causing confusion. Let me know if anything is unclear.

I've also started to test how it would work to have two separate pages where the leopard genes get their own page (with links between both pages/lists). Adding tobiano combinations didn't impact performance too bad but if I also added all the LP combinations the page would become quite slow to load and search through. It would require a different kind of programming using external database data and reducing the amount of coats to load from the start.

Ideally the list would be empty from the start and you have to enter a word to search for or genes from the drop down menus to load the coats into the list. If I could find a way to do this in combination with data from a database I would probably be able to add all the gene combinations into one list/page.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Totina wrote:I have made an interactive list with all possible gene combinations and their names where you can search for specific genes in drop down menus by name in a free text search box. The intention is to fulfill my coat colour guide with a more structured and clean list where it's easy to find what you're looking for.

While the charts are great for beginners to read all about genetics and what they look like, the option to show bigger images without it becoming a bit of a mess with a lot of scrolling on the page was the biggest problem. I realized I had to do something else than using the limited amount of functions in these forums to make that happen. The result can be found on this link.
Very nice, looks interesting.

The only thing I'd suggest for the example of the wild bay alone is use a Przewalski as their coloring makes the bay markings very obvious.

Wild Bay Image
Middle Image
Extended Image
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Gaagii wrote:
Very nice, looks interesting.

The only thing I'd suggest for the example of the wild bay alone is use a Przewalski as their coloring makes the bay markings very obvious.
The problem with that is przewalski horses have pangare/mealy and dun as well so they are not just "bay" but "mealy bay dun".
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 5:48 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:48 pm