Community Forum

Extremely Fat horses won't slim down

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Moragh
Visit My Farm

Re: Extremely Fat horses won't slim down

Post by Moragh »

I also have some extremely fat horses and my feeding shows hay at 35%. I've tried changing it, but not having any luck. Any ideas?
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Moragh wrote:I also have some extremely fat horses and my feeding shows hay at 35%. I've tried changing it, but not having any luck. Any ideas?
Do you have a link to the horse(s) you are referring to? Are they in a pasture? If so, they may be consuming too much grass. You will have more luck at controlling their weight if they are in a barn.
For your consideration

Knightshade
Metallic Smokey Black Belgian Stallion
#1 Log Pull and Marathon Driving Horse of All Time | RH Level 10: 54.31 ft | $5,000 LC
barrelracingchic
Visit My Farm

Post by barrelracingchic »

At what level can you have more than 1 horse?
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Jaleeni wrote:I got a small pasture for my horse after reading this. He went from fleshy to extremely fat afterwards. Why? I haven't fed him anything. I haven't even touched the feed because I don't understand how it works.
He is eating the grass in the pasture.. if you read what larissar just posted, she said to add some more horses to the pasture. You need to lower the pasture quality if you want to lower your horse's weight. Another way to do this would be to move your horse to a barn because you have complete control over what they eat in there.
For your consideration

Knightshade
#1 Log Pull and Marathon Driving Horse of All Time | RH Level 10: 54.31 ft | $5,000 LC
Moragh
Visit My Farm

Post by Moragh »

Virgo wrote:
Moragh wrote:I also have some extremely fat horses and my feeding shows hay at 35%. I've tried changing it, but not having any luck. Any ideas?
Do you have a link to the horse(s) you are referring to? Are they in a pasture? If so, they may be consuming too much grass. You will have more luck at controlling their weight if they are in a barn.[/quote Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Moragh wrote:snip
No problem! I would highly recommend the barn because it is just so hard to manage them in the pasture. Their weight is also kind of irrelevant if you are not competing with them. I usually just let broods get as fat as they want. :P
For your consideration

Knightshade
Citrine.Corrupt
Visit My Farm

Post by Citrine.Corrupt »

I joined yesterday and my horses have gotten fatter and fatter. They won't slim down. I've read about how I can and should be feeding them but it's not working. Can anyone help? Also, I'm at level three and I'm wondering if the suggested kg should have gone up by now and if I should be able to mix feeds. PLEASE HELP!
nyraeia
Visit My Farm

Post by nyraeia »

Citrine.Corrupt wrote:I joined yesterday and my horses have gotten fatter and fatter. They won't slim down. I've read about how I can and should be feeding them but it's not working. Can anyone help? Also, I'm at level three and I'm wondering if the suggested kg should have gone up by now and if I should be able to mix feeds. PLEASE HELP!
Hi and welcome!

Your horses are in a low-stocked pasture with very lush grass (few horses and 100% quality). So they have more grass than they could ever eat and you're feeding them on top of that. Of course they're getting fat! :)

The suggested kg means what you need to feed them to keep them at their current weight - in your case fat. They would be getting fat on grass alone (my pasture horses all are) so that's why the suggested kg are not going up.
It would be different with a growing horse that has no access to grass (i.e. in a barn) - you would see an increase in feed needed there.
So you could put the horses that need to slim down in a barn where they can't stuff their faces with grass. Or you could put them in a smaller pasture that's fairly highly stocked. My stallions are in two pastures that are both bursting at the seams with horses and some of them are thin, some of them are not. So it seems like some get more of the available grass, some get less.

Mixing feeds: Just choose the feeds you want from the scrolldown menu on your horse's feeding page. If you choose two or more, you can then scroll down and change the percentages to your liking.

A little tip: Only feed the horses you want to train. Broodmares that aren't getting trained don't need energy so they need no food (which saves you money). Weight is only important if you want to put your horses into competitions - a fat horse is probably going to do less well in races. I focus on breeding so I only feed a few competition horses.
Citrine.Corrupt
Visit My Farm

Post by Citrine.Corrupt »

nyraeia wrote:
Citrine.Corrupt wrote:I joined yesterday and my horses have gotten fatter and fatter. They won't slim down. I've read about how I can and should be feeding them but it's not working. Can anyone help? Also, I'm at level three and I'm wondering if the suggested kg should have gone up by now and if I should be able to mix feeds. PLEASE HELP!
Hi and welcome!

Your horses are in a low-stocked pasture with very lush grass (few horses and 100% quality). So they have more grass than they could ever eat and you're feeding them on top of that. Of course they're getting fat! :)

The suggested kg means what you need to feed them to keep them at their current weight - in your case fat. They would be getting fat on grass alone (my pasture horses all are) so that's why the suggested kg are not going up.
It would be different with a growing horse that has no access to grass (i.e. in a barn) - you would see an increase in feed needed there.
So you could put the horses that need to slim down in a barn where they can't stuff their faces with grass. Or you could put them in a smaller pasture that's fairly highly stocked. My stallions are in two pastures that are both bursting at the seams with horses and some of them are thin, some of them are not. So it seems like some get more of the available grass, some get less.

Mixing feeds: Just choose the feeds you want from the scrolldown menu on your horse's feeding page. If you choose two or more, you can then scroll down and change the percentages to your liking.

A little tip: Only feed the horses you want to train. Broodmares that aren't getting trained don't need energy so they need no food (which saves you money). Weight is only important if you want to put your horses into competitions - a fat horse is probably going to do less well in races. I focus on breeding so I only feed a few competition horses.
Thank you! But I've never actually been able to mix feeds or change the ration. It doesn't work. It just changes one slot to a different feed.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

When your horse is in a pasture you can only give him one feed. If you want to mix feeds you'll have to move the horse into a barn. Horses in barns can get up to 4 different feeds. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 1:15 am

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:15 am