Community Forum

Striped Horse Breeding Project (Day: 7) (On Hold)

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Striped Horse Breeding Project (Day: 7) (On Hold)

Post by KingstonDressage »

So, most poeple will just scroll past this, and I'm already aware. If you are interested, however, I'm attemping (again) to create a fully striped horse. The original project dates back to November of 2020, on my old/first account, Strawberry Unicorn. However, I was quickly discouraged by the public.

viewtopic.phpf=17&t=24590&p=183435&hili ... ing#p18343,
and
viewtopic.phpf=8&t=24414&p=180793&hilit ... ng#p180793

Anyways, that really only made me work harder to create this 'striped' horse. And yes, I am very aware that some grullo horses have similar stripes.

I want to share my progress with the public, and to help myself stay organized. I also hope the public will either support me, or just don't say anything, because the last couple posts from my other topics discouraged me very much. Or, if you do have a suggestion or something to point out, you will do so in a respectful manner.

Now, sit tight, hold your horses, and this project is about to get... I forgot the rest of the opening! :lol:
Last edited by KingstonDressage on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Striped Horse Breeding Project

Day 1 (5/26/2021):

Just bred
This stallion: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091673
to this mare: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091675
in an attempt to create more vivid back stripes, as well as the 'thigh'.

I've now stumbled across numerous horses with similar stripes, most of which are either Gotland or Tarpan. I've also found the adoption centre a fine place to purchase striped Tarpans, as you can refresh the horses and find the perfect one.

Currently, another player is 'popping' my mare, so results will have to wait, not to mention the rendering that always follows the birth of a new foal.

I'm hoping to age the new foal to at least 6 years old, to see real results. I'm also searching high and low for any horse or pony with any shape or form of stomach stripes. I'm not sure if this exists in the game, but if it does, I am determined to find that horse!

Last note before I check on the mare. I'm hoping to someday create not only striped Tarpans and such, but also sporthorses. My main goal is to breed high quality warmbloods to compete, with the stripes. Creating a striped horse will be cool, but it would be even cooler if the striped horses were actual competition worthy horses.

For now, that is all to write, I may update a bit later, depending on how long it will take for the mare to foal.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Striped Horse Breeding Project (Day: 2)

Day 2 (5/27/2021)

So, the mare that I bred last time (https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091675) just finished foaling. I checked up on the foal, who currently has no visible stripes, but I'm hoping more vivid stripes will appear as the foal ages. Here is the foal: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091677.

Today's goal is to age the foal to at least 4-5 years, to see if the stripes come through more. I'm also planning on breeding a couple more pairs, to do some more testing.

I do have another goal for today, although it's much more of a 'side' goal, rather than on the To-Do list. I'm going to be looking out for breeds like Arabians, KPWN, Thoroughbreds, and any warmbloods with even the faintest stripes. That will hopefully get me a step close to breeding competition horses with stripes.

I may update later, but for now, that is today's agenda.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Update (5/27/2021)

Just aged the new foal (https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091677) to 3 months. His stripes are already showing now! I'm going to age the little one to 5 years old, and see how vivid the stripes really are!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Interesting project. :)
We don't really know how brightly distinctive these stripes can be. Although, I think it's more of a lightening of the coat that makes them more bright and not necessarily darkening of the stripes themselves, but that's mostly my personal opinion. I've never seen stripes on the stomach (from the underside coming upward) on any horse here on HWO. But I do know that those back stripes can reach quite far down.
If I understand the programming for the dun gene correctly, these primitive markings are static in only a few areas. They cannot be increased (in amount of stripes). However, who knows... Give it a try and see what else happens. It's with these types of studies that we find out more about these genes.
Here's my study with photos. It might help you in this project. It's just basic, but shows what we can get through basic breeding (not breeding FOR anything, like you are).
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11515

On a side note, bays and chestnuts seem to express the brilliance of the stripes the best (arguably). And also, these are the types of breeding goals that end up revealing hidden aspects that we never knew about.
Good Luck! :mrgreen: And thank you for sharing, I'll be swinging by every so often to see about what new things you've discovered.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Striped Horse Breeding Project (Day: 3)

Day 3 (5/28/21)

So, today's agenda is pretty short. I just want to finish up the ageing to the new foal (https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091677) and hopefully pop this mare: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091675 to the same stallion as before. I'm going to see if the results of the foal change at all.

After looking through BlackOak2's Dun Gene Guide, I found much useful information, including the fact that stripes most likely don't change vividness, instead, it's how light the horse's coat is. I'm going to start more foal testing using that as a foundation for my research.

Everything's going as planned, so far, and BlackOak2's Color guide has really helped! Thanks BlackOak2!
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Day 3 (5/28/21)

So, today's agenda is pretty short. I just want to finish up the ageing to the new foal (https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091677) and hopefully pop this mare: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091675. She's been bred with the same stallion as before. I'm going to see if the results of the foal change at all.

After looking through BlackOak2's Dun Gene Guide, I found much useful information, including the fact that stripes most likely don't change vividness, instead, it's how light the horse's coat is. I'm going to start more foal testing using that as a foundation for my research.

Everything's going as planned, so far, and BlackOak2's Color guide has really helped! Thanks BlackOak2!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:o
Wow! That foal has some great overlaying dun patterning (primitive stripings and markings). Very gorgeous! Even at 10 months. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Striped Horse Breeding Project (Day: 4)

[Day 4 (5/29/21)

So, I've been really busy in-real-life, so I haven't had much time to do anything much on HWO, although I want to get at least something done, so I feel good about my self and my progress. Unfortunatly, most of my day is already up, but I have a couple small tasks to finish.

Number one, and foremost, is to pop the mare. I really want to see the result of the foal. Next, I want to see if I can find some Tarpans, or any striped breeds to stud to. I think my current broodmare has good markings, so I'll be studding any striped horses to her. Lastly, I want to create a 3rd account (no idea for a name) so I can be more organized with my project and everything.

Now, I must squeeze my tiny agenda into what hours are left today! Okay, bye!
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Striped Horse Breeding Project (Day: 4)

Update (5/29/21)

Just checked on the foal, and oh my goodness! Would you look at those stripes! The stripes even extend to the mid stomach area, which is going to be very helpful! https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3091677 !!!

This is a huge checkpoint in my journey to create this striped horse, and I have to celebrate it! :D

Another good thing this little filly is a mare, which means she'll be a broodmare for future studdings. I'm really glad she is a mare because most of the striped horses in the Adoption Centre are stallions, and I want more options for broodmares!

So, that's it for today, I putting off all of my agenda until tommorow!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 pm