Community Forum

『 ᛒ 』Fjord Horses of Breiðablik

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Wiccan
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

『 ᛒ 』Fjord Horses of Breiðablik

Post by Wiccan »

Welcome to Breiðablik!

"Then there is also in that place the abode called Breidablik, and there is not in heaven a fairer dwelling."
- translated excerpt of the Gylfaginning
Hello everyone and welcome to my farm log!
In this game I'm focusing on Norwegian Fjord horses, a small but strong horse breed from Norway. It's one of the world's oldest breeds and was used as a war horse by the Vikings, but played a significant role in farming as well. Nowadays it's a popular riding and driving horse, especially due to its mild temperament.

Over the last few weeks I've tried to recreate all five recognized dun variations of the Fjord horse: brunblakk, gulblakk, grå, rødblakk and ulsblakk, also known as brown dun, yellow dun, grullo, red dun and white dun. Around 90% of all Fjord horses are brunblakk, which is also the color I'm going to put my main focus on.

My main goals are to maintain a (more or less) realistic color and evaluation of at least 4/5* , and to improve their HGP. I haven't completely decided yet if I should train them to become show jumpers, log pullers or harness racers since their real life counterparts can be found in all of these disciplines.
Branding / Names
My branding is the rune "Berkanan", which means "birch" and looks like a "B". I chose this rune since it actually reminded me of the old Norse word "berserkr", a term used for a special type of Scandinavian warriors. If I should ever sell one of my horses, which I probably will eventually, please don't remove it - or if you really don't like it, put it in the description, please. :)

『 ᛒ 』

I use names from the Old Norse and Icelandic language for all my Norwegian Fjords. If you see a "þ" (thorn) in their name, the letter is pronounced like the English th in "thin". The letter "ð" (eth) also makes an th sound, but it's closer to the one in "that".
Selling / Stud
I'm currently not selling or publicly studding any of my horses since their stats etc. are still all over the place. I am, however, willing to help you with the creation of those breeds Norwegian Fjord horses are needed for, namely Icelandic ponies, Faroese ponies and the Poitevin. Feel free to ping me if you need a stud, but please keep in mind that I'm not offering my mares for these purposes.
Colors
These are the colors I managed to breed. I know that some off them don't match their real life counterpart completely, but this is the best I could do so far. I've been using this page for information on their color. Dark manes and tails are traits I usually try to avoid, which is why most of these horses will stay on my holding account.

Brunblakk

Available variations:
- black mane and tail (example)
- feathers (see above)
- dark legs (example)

Gulblakk

Note:
- I'm aiming for a lighter coat color, but I haven't been able to make them appear more "white" yet

Available variations:
- feathers (example)

Grå

Note:
- some of them appear still slightly brownish in color, but most of their parents got darker with age

Available variations:
- dark mane and tail (example)
- feathers (example)

Rødblakk

Note:
- this color was the most difficult to breed. It's very vibrant but I like it
- I have yet to find out if they get lighter with age

Available variations:
- feathers (example)
- darker legs (example)

Ulsblakk

Available variations:
- darker mane and tail (example)
- feathers (see above)
- darker legs (example)
Currently...
...thinking about which discipline I should focus on

It's okay to post here. I'm also a non-native English speaker, I apologize for any mistakes
Last edited by Wiccan on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiccan
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: 『 ᛒ 』Fjord Horses of Breiðablik

Post by Wiccan »

reserved
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 3:17 pm

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:17 pm