Community Forum

Saharan Racing Barbs - NABs to Glory

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Caveria
Visit My Farm

Saharan Racing Barbs - NABs to Glory

Post by Caveria »

The North African Barb
The "NAB" is a light riding horse hailing from the Sahara desert region of North Africa. Not only is it known for it's stamina, but it is the second most influential breed to modern racehorses after the Arabian.
My Barbs
Currently, the main goal of my NAB line is to break an Endurance record. I will be making improvements to the breed in general for racing type competitions.
If you've followed the progress I've made on National Show Horses (starting with very potato American Saddlebreds and TBs), you'll be thrilled with this line!
Breeding Goals (general)
- all Tobiano based - all of my foundation mares are Tobiano, I would like to have a good variety of pattern and color (ha)
- very light horse type
- 60k+ genetic potential
- 15.1 to 17.3hh
- flexible temperament
- no feathering or mohawks
Important Milestones
- purebred NAB above 60 speed (incomplete)
- purebred NAB above 50 stamina (COMPLETE)
- purebred NAB above 65k GP (incomplete)
- purebred NAB with flash, Secretariat, or racecar comment (incomplete)
- purebred NAB with above 70kGP (incomplete)
- purebred NAB breaking an Endurance record
Current Progress

September 1, 2021 - the first big cull for the mixes. Removing all mares from the breeding cycle that are below 30 stamina, stallions must be above 40. The speed is still questionable but has climbed from mid/high teens & twenties to 30-50+. Working back towards pure. Hoping to secure a purebred stallion above 40 speed/45 stamina soon

September 4th, 2021 - second large cull this weekend. Horses are improving rapidly - highest stamina is currently 65. Culling all lower genetic potentials. Still polishing the stats, but mostly working towards the elite gold comments for stamina, speed is coming slowly. Good improvement on visual appearance - conformations becoming more uniform
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 1:38 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:38 am