Community Forum

$ℱ~ Doing the Never Before: Creating the Racing St. Lawrence

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

$ℱ~ Doing the Never Before: Creating the Racing St. Lawrence

Post by Sawd10 »

Sawd10's Farm ($ℱ~) Presents:
The Racing St. Lawrence.

You are able to post here, but please do not quote this post.

About this project
Founded 21st, September, 2021.
I cannot date back how long I have had this project idea in store; this is proof how long projects take on this game as I am only just now getting into it. I imagine it is not much of a surprise seeing me begin yet another competitive project with a rare breed. I seem to have created a name for myself with these types of projects nowadays and I am content enough with the outcome of them to continue on with different breeds, looks, and disciplines.

A quick inquiry for additional information

Q: Why the St. Lawrence?
A: There is not a sentimental reason for my choosing. I think the name sounds very royal. The breed is naturally heavy/drafty, and I figured that giving it a really light build would make it look very clean and definitely eye-candy. I attempted to look up the breed multiple times on Google Web but never actually found anything on it so the breed being mysterious made me interested, but also disappointed.

Q: Why the racing disciplines?
A: I knew I wanted to make the St. Lawrence light, so racing competitions did come to mind early on. It is also contradicting the breed's normalized characteristics even more as the breed was bred with racing disciplines far from interest. And, knowing me, just because of the latter explanation I had to breed them with racing in my best interests.

Q: Will these be publicly released?
A: Knowing myself, probably not. I am quite skeptical when it comes to releasing my projects like this. But it is for the general well-being of my soon-to-come blood. Due to more than a few bad experiences with players, I have a hard time letting go of my hard work lest I fear dishonesty. This does not mean I only trust myself when it comes to players on here, but there are some that I trust more than others. If you made it to here without leaving that's good, as I was going to say that the chances of me releasing some of these is not 0%. I have been contemplating the idea of releasing a few (maybe only mares) to the public to incite more projects like this and whatnot. The likelihood of this happening is not high, though.
If geldings came out then I would happily sell a few colts out, but it does not look like the update will come anytime soon, unfortunately.

Goals
I can finally explain my intentions with this project. These will become requirements eventually, because I intend on my St. Lawrences fitting all of these standards.

Colouring
I am going for a simple palette. All of my blood will be dominant black horses with two copies of the black hair gene. (E/E.) I will also be throwing in the roan genes (Rn/n/ /Rn/Rn) so that the foals born have a 50% possibility of being a blue/black roan, while the other 50% will be solid blacks. This is not super difficult, but sometimes I feel like I am one of the only few players in the game that likes the roan gene enough to add it into my lines so it is pretty uncommon to see. At least right now. I did a similar palette with one of my old projects (the Württemburgers) except they were agoutis. 50% seal/browns and 50% brown roans and I was happy with the results.
I think that a blue roan or a solid black St. Lawrence with a light build would be simplistic but unique in that way.
The blacks in my lines will be E/E.
The blue/black roans in my lines will be E/E, Rn/Rn(n).

Stats
60+ speed on males.
60+ speed on females.
45+ agility on males.
40+ agility on females.
35+ strength on males.
32+ strength on females.
30+ stamina on males.
27+ stamina on females.
64k+ HGP on males.
61k+ HGP on females.
Must be born with a temperament above bombproof.
Around 18hh.
Body Size approximately 50%.
Type approximately 85%.

Conformation
Horse-type light.
Heavy head. (speed, stamina, agility, tempo.)
Long face. (stamina.)
Long neck. (speed, stamina, strength.)
Low point of shoulder. (stamina.)
Deep rib cage. (stamina.)
Shallow flank. (speed.)
Sloped hip. (strength.)
Long hip. (speed, strength.)
Thin legs. (speed.)
Forward placed stifle. (agility.)
Slightly medium to slightly shorter back. (strength, stamina, agility.)
Downhill facing croup. (speed.)

Discipline~
The St. Lawrences will be bred for Steeplechasing. Some may do decently in other disciplines, but the main focus will be Steeplechasing.

Hall of Fame

The first St. Lawrence I have bred in the project. (9/21/21)

The first St. Lawrence colt bred in the project. (10/24/21)

One of the first colts bred that adheres to multiple requirements (+ one of the first green speed colts). (08/13/23)

First horse from my lines to have both gold Speed and gold Stamina. (08/26/23)

The first horse in my lines with a green Agility comment. (11/06/23)
Last edited by Sawd10 on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
sobesstables333
Visit My Farm

Re: $ℱ~ Doing the Never Before: Creating the Racing St. Lawrence

Post by sobesstables333 »

Sawd10 wrote:
Sawd10's Farm ($ℱ~) Presents:
The Racing St. Lawrence.

About this project
Founded 21st, September, 2021.
Ah. I cannot date back how long I have had this project idea in store; this is proof how long projects take on this game as I am only just now getting into it- at nearly the end of 2021...?! I imagine it is not much of a surprise seeing me begin yet another competitive project with a rare breed, but who else is going to do it? Besides, I seem to have created a name for myself with these types of projects nowadays and I am content enough with the outcome of them to continue on with different breeds, looks, and disciplines.
I am really looking forward to this project. The wait has been long.

A quick inquiry for additional information

Q: Why the St. Lawrence?
A: There is not a sentimental reason for my choosing. I think the name sounds very royal. The breed is naturally heavy/drafty, and I figured that giving it a really light build would make it look very clean, upper-class, and definitely eye-candy. I attempted to look up the breed multiple times on Google Web but never actually found anything on it so the breed being mysterious made me interested, but also disappointed.

Q: Why the racing disciplines?
A: I knew I wanted to make the St. Lawrence light, so racing competitions did come to mind early on. It is also contradicting the breed's normalized characteristics even more as the breed was bred with racing disciplines far from interest. And, knowing me, just because of the latter explanation I had to make them with racing in my best interests.

Q: Will these be publicly released?
A: My apologies, but knowing myself? Probably not. I am a little bit... disinterested and skeptical when it comes to releasing my projects like this. Maybe more than a little bit. But it is for the general well-being of my soon-to-come blood. Due to more than a few bad experiences with players, I have a hard time letting go of my hard work lest I fear multiplication and dishonesty. This does not mean I only trust myself when it comes to players on here, but there are some that I trust more than others. If you made it to here without leaving that's good, because I was going to say that the chances of me releasing some of these is not 0%. I will likely give out a few to my close friends if they request it or simply as a gift. I have also been contemplating the idea of releasing a few (maybe only mares) to the public to incite more projects like this and whatnot. The likelihood of this happening is not high, though.
If geldings came out then I would happily sell a few colts out, but it does not look like the update will come anytime soon, unfortunately.

Goals
I can finally explain my intentions with this project. 'Goals', not 'Dreams'; these will become requirements eventually, because I intend on my St. Lawrences fitting all of these standards.

Colouring
I am going for a simple palette. All of my blood will be dominant black horses with two copies of the black hair gene. (E/E.) I will also be throwing in the roan genes (Rn/n/ /Rn/Rn) so that the foals born have a 50% possibility of being a blue/black roan, while the other 50% will be solid blacks. This is not super difficult, but sometimes I feel like I am one of the only few players in the game that likes the roan gene enough to add it into my lines so it is pretty uncommon to see. At least right now. I did a similar palette with one of my old projects (the Württemburgers) except they were agoutis. 50% seal/browns (At/At) and 50% brown roans and I was happy with the results.
I think that a blue roan or a solid black St. Lawrence with a light build would be simplistic but unique in that way.
The blacks in my lines will be E/E.
The blue/black roans in my lines will be E/E, Rn/Rn(n).

Stats
63+ speed on males.
60+ speed on females.
42+ stamina on males.
40+ stamina on females.
32+ strength on males.
30+ strength on females.
27+ agility on males.
25+ agility on females.
63k+ HGP on males.
61k+ HGP on females.
Must be born with a temperament above bombproof.

Conformation
Horse-type light.
Heavy head. (speed, stamina, agility, tempo.)
Long face. (stamina.)
Long neck. (speed, stamina, strength.)
Low point of shoulder. (stamina.)
Deep rib cage. (stamina.)
Shallow flank. (speed.)
Sloped hip. (strength.)
Long hip. (speed, strength.)
Thin legs. (speed.)
Forward placed stifle. (agility.)
Slightly medium to slightly shorter back. (strength, stamina, agility.)
Downhill facing croup. (speed.)

Racing times
Racing: Average males should run on 2:00, while most should be running under that time.
Steeplechasing: Average males should run 10:18, while most should reach at least 10:15.
Sprint Racing: Average males should run 41.5, while most should run under said time.

Hall of Fame

The first St. Lawrence I have bred in the project. (9/21/21)
any free horses i like this one https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3233671 but any one works new and LOVES HORSES AND YOU :)
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Update I | First Colt

Post by Sawd10 »

Update~

After about 17 in-game years, my mare finally foaled a male St. Lawrence. The amount of time it took disappoints me. She is super consistent with producing St. Lawrence foals, however, only fillies. This is my very first colt from her within those 17 years; every other foal was a filly.

Moving forwards, now. The next part of my project is to breed a few to get it circulated, and then I can start the exciting but extremely tedious step: crossing. I noticed that the offspring are all Bays. So the first step before changing the stats and conformation is to get the colouring right. I want to make sure they are blacks before all. I probably will not breed the roan in right away.

Also, the discipline these will be specifically bred for is going to be Steeplechasing. I will be updating the front post.

Overall project update~
Bred the first St. Lawrence colt.
Moving forwards to cross-breeding shortly.
These will be bred specifically for Steeplechasing competitions.
Last edited by Sawd10 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

Sawd10 wrote:....
Since you're doing a weird steeple project... and I'm doing a weird steeple project... once we complete our individual goals, would you be willing to try crossing them a few times to see what happens?
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

I might could make the exception; that outcome would definitely be something. Yours are Shetlands and mine are St. Lawrences... pretty different colour palettes. Crossing over a few times may just bring an interesting outcome to the table.
I would be willing to, with some things being said...
This could change over the course of time as I have just recently started this project, though.*

I am thinking that we cross over a few times like you said, and we can both keep 1 or 2 foals. One foal from a mare of mine (crossed with a stallion of yours), and one foal from a mare of yours (crossed with a stallion of mine); a total of 4 foals would be born, and each of us get two that fit those expectations. That way the foals are a bit different for each outcome.
And the other thing I thought of is that I am not sure about breeding the offspring. This has a good chance of changing*, but just so that both of us know from the beginning that it might not be possible. The foals would just be an innocent cross between our lines to see what happens. We can compete them and see how they do once we are both getting consistent times.
I am going to make the cutoff for no selling or studding to the public. That is never going to happen. Us two breeding the foals could, but not to that extent.
This exception would actually be big because I was not planning on releasing them to anyone-- at least, not in this way. But your request is sparks my interest, and I think it would do more good than harm.
Let me know if you had any objections or things to add.
Cypress Creek Elites wrote:
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

Sawd10 wrote:...
I completely agree with that.
I also have zero interest in releasing breeding stock to the public (there are a few players I might sell to that I trust, and I might sell some geldings). Other than that, I have no plans to stud out or sell breedable horses of my own stock (and I definitely wouldn't sell yours)- and I also would not pursue any further breedings without your explicit approval :D
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

Good luck with this project! I have just seen this now. I was the breeder of the very first in game St. Lawrence many years ago and then developed them into decent cross country and log pull competitors. I am very interested to see how this venture goes for you and will be sure to keep checking in! If there is any way I can help you let me know! I still have some St. Lawrence stored away on my side account. Good Luck!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Thank you for your comment. Luck... well, I may need it for something like this. Or, I can just stick with my genius self and it will work out fine. 8-) Either way, the project is definitely going to be a monotonous one, and the comments at least let me know that some people are anticipating the results as much as I.
You were the first to obtain a St. Lawrence? Hmm! That is an accomplishment; it gives me pleasure to hear this! Congratulations for that.

Yes, I plan on updating very soon, once I get the first cross-bred ones back to pure, which is about one generation away.
I appreciate the offer. Since these are leaning towards racing--and light builds--I probably would not need any help from log pull horses unless I want to give some of that up. Cross Country may be a cross I am willing to do in the future sometime. But as of right now, I am doing fine with the horses I currently own, so I will not take you up on this; at least not yet. I will definitely keep this in mind, though.
Thank you again!

Woodstock wrote:Good luck with this project! I have just seen this now. I was the breeder of the very first in game St. Lawrence many years ago and then developed them into decent cross country and log pull competitors. I am very interested to see how this venture goes for you and will be sure to keep checking in! If there is any way I can help you let me know! I still have some St. Lawrence stored away on my side account. Good Luck!
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

Sawd10 wrote:Thank you for your comment. Luck... well, I may need it for something like this. Or, I can just stick with my genius self and it will work out fine. 8-) Either way, the project is definitely going to be a monotonous one, and the comments at least let me know that some people are anticipating the results as much as I.
You were the first to obtain a St. Lawrence? Hmm! That is an accomplishment; it gives me pleasure to hear this! Congratulations for that.

Yes, I plan on updating very soon, once I get the first cross-bred ones back to pure, which is about one generation away.
I appreciate the offer. Since these are leaning towards racing--and light builds--I probably would not need any help from log pull horses unless I want to give some of that up. Cross Country may be a cross I am willing to do in the future sometime. But as of right now, I am doing fine with the horses I currently own, so I will not take you up on this; at least not yet. I will definitely keep this in mind, though.
Thank you again!
Well, however it turns out I hope for the best outcome! And if you do ever want to outcross I know I have some medium and potentially medium-light St. Lawrence waiting!
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Sawd10 wrote:Black/Blue Roans - Crossbreeding
Hi there :) read up this topic and these horses look pretty nice <3

I wanted to offer you my Black Roans for Crossbreeding and getting the black and roan in (sometimes smoky is creeping around there but the adult coat looks the same so...) if you are interested?

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1624636
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1637018
I would lend them to you for free/1$ till they drop a (few? satisfactiory) foal(s) if you want :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 11:42 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:42 pm