Community Forum

Bairdclan Stables - Project: Miniature Horses (Phase Two)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Bairdey
Visit My Farm

Re: Bairdclan Stables - Project: Miniature Horses (Phase One)

Post by Bairdey »

Foal Crop - Phase I: Gen 2 Breeding Results
We've created our first West African Barb! Now to commence Phase 2
It has been almost 5 years since my first gen 2 mares reached breeding age. Since then every mare has had at least one foal. Around Roughly ~15 foals have been so far, and of those 15 only 4 are West African Barbs.

I found it interesting to see that many of the foals who weren't WABs ended up being Tobiano. Even more interesting is that most of them came from parents with no visible white or one parent who had socks and another who didn't. These weren't small patches of white either. They were rather large ones that took up the entire shoulder.

Since all of these foals weren't the WABs I wanted I very quickly rehomed them and didn't look into tracing back to see if it was a specific horse giving me those tobiano foals. If I had to guess though I'd say it was the offspring of Swirled Desert who were popping tobiano foals. The patterns they got were very similar to that of his.

I had also been thinking for a while that all of my horses were EE since we haven't had any surprise chestnuts pop up but I would be wrong because the first foal we got ended up being a cheeky chestnut tobiano. I didn't save a picture but he was very red and had a lot of white on him. It was almost like a taunt giving me everything I didn't want for my project in my very first foal. It's likely he was a grandson of Flitting Walnut my AC Arab stud. He was proven to be Ee after he sired Red Envy, a liver chestnut Akhal-Teke from my Kathiawari project.

Now, let's discuss the WAB foals; It ended up taking a lot longer than I expected just to get one foal but we did succeed! Right after my previous post updating you on my Kathiawari project's happenings Shifting Sands dropped her third foal.

•Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Umber Cliffs
By •Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Bold Mountain out of •Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Shifting Sands

That foal just so happened to be our first West African Barb! And she was a filly! I couldn't have been happier when the little achievement popped up letting me know I'd created the West African Barb.

She's a very fine West African Barb mare, she scored a 2 in her Sorraia eval, a 3 in her Andalusian eval, and a whopping 5! In her Carthusian eval. She also has no red comments, and her HGP is 30K which is an improvement from her dam's 28K and rests just below her sire's 32K HGP.

After Umber was born we had 3 more foals. One a year after her, and two a year after that. Unfortunately, all of these foals have been colts. [td][url=https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3285145][img]https://img.horseworldonline.net/gallery/5/8/2/3/3285145/6180c0620bce2.png[/img][/url][/td][td][url=https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3290190][img]https://img.horseworldonline.net/gallery/0/9/2/3/3290190/6181661c44758.png[/img][/url][/td][td][url=https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3290194][img]https://img.horseworldonline.net/gallery/0/9/2/3/3290194/6181667c800ef.png[/img][/url][/td]
•Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Proud Rocker•Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Twisted Pride•Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Thorn Glow
Proud Rocker and Twisted Pride actually happen to be full brothers sired by Rocky Twists and coming out of Proud Peanut. Those two appear to do quite well together when it comes to producing WAB foals. I just hope some of my other pairings start having that luck. I don't want to continue this project only using foals from the two of them!

The third colt actually ended up coming from my perfect 5 eval scoring mare Earthly Glow! He also happens to be her first foal. I'm hoping she continues to drop more WABs. She's with a different stallion this time just to try and keep diversity in the herd up, so we'll see if she can produce a second.

Where do we go from here?
Now that my herd is happily producing West African Barbs is time to move onto Phase II of my project! I'll be purchasing Tarpans and Przewalski horses off of the market and from the AC so I can begin creating the Mongolian. Updates regarding my Kathiawari project and my WABs will continue alongside Phase II updates.
Bairdey
Visit My Farm

Re: Bairdclan Stables - Project: Miniature Horses (Phase One)

Post by Bairdey »

Foal Crop - Phase II: Batch One
We're onto phase II now! Come meet our foundation Tarpan and Przewalski's and their first foals!
I have an update for Phase II of my project! To start things off I've bought 2 mares and 2 stallions for both breeds from the AC. I may end up buying some more at a later date (especially the Tarpans in order to cross back to the offspring) but for now this little herd seems to suit my needs.

The gender ratio for this batch was okay, we got 3 colts and a single filly. With the luck I've been having so far I wouldn't have been surprised if we got all colts.

Our first colt had a nice 32.5K HGP and a 4 evaluation score for the Mongolian. The third foal, our second colt, only got a 30K HGP and 3 evaluation score. Our last colt ended up being a dud with no evaluation score, a red movement comment and 28K HGP so he was rehomed.

Our sole filly has a red comment in movement, an HGP of 30K and a score of 3 for her Mongolian eval. Not the best, but, she's the only foal to have inherited her Tarpan parent's appaloosa patterning!
I find it amusing that she's the only one to inherit the Appaloosa blanket because her mom actually glitched out after she was born and lost all of her appaloosa patterning! I guess she stole it from mom :lol:

Batch One
SireDamFoal
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageCulled
Oh, and before I forget we also have an update for our Kathiawari project!

•Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Empress of Envy
By •Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Sun-struck Majesty out of •Ƀᴄ'ꜱ Envious Acorn

We got our Kathiawari! Unfortunately, it's not a colt. :roll: This is probably the only time I've been upset to get a filly instead of a colt LOL.
I could keep trying to get a Kathiawari colt from Sunny and this fillies mom so I can breed him back to his dam. I could also try and get an arab x turk colt from my foundation stock which are still alive over on my alt then breed him to this gal.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 6:50 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:50 pm