Community Forum

How I Breed, Train, Feed, and Sell my Thoroughbreds.

islandhill
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

How I Breed, Train, Feed, and Sell my Thoroughbreds.

Post by islandhill »

Hey Y'all!

So recently a lot of people have been asking me about my Thoroughbreds and how I started/ how I got to where I am now so I decided to go a tad bit out of my comfort zone and write about it! :lol:

SECTION 1:
BREEDING/RAISING

Let me just say that I DID NOT start out with great breeding skills. I was gifted some great horses by a friend, but unfortunately I inbred them and crossbred them and...I think you can see where I am going. I was too concerned on getting a "nice color" foal that I didn't care about their conformation or bloodlines. Here are a few tips I have now that I know more about breeding:

1) Set Goals

Ask yourself questions before starting your Thoroughbred journey. Make a mental list (or, if you're like me, you'll make a neat bullet pointed list on your laptop :lol: ) of certain traits you want to breed for. Here are some ideas:

-Color:
TB's come in almost all colors so it is easy to use this breed to experiment with new and pretty coat patterns! I personally breed for leopard patterns and dapples. But I also try to get as many new colors as possible! Here are a few examples of TB color variety:

You can also breed them with feathers and/or a mohawk. Here is an example of a TB with a Mohawk and feathers:

This is all based on personal opinion though! Choose whatever "floats your boat" or you feel like you just HAVE to have!

-Conformation:
One of my current goals is breeding TB's with a 60+ speed confo and training them. What exactly is a horses confo? Unfortunately this feature can only be accessed by premium members (which can be bought in the "Player upgrade" section via payment of Pony Tokens (PT) which can be bought with real money or earned through putting your grinder (see more at this link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8985) in local shows.). The higher the confo the better the horse will do in competitions and breeding. I started with little goals like speed above 50 and then now I am just trying to go above 60. However, while breeding a TB for racing (which uses a lot of speed) is very common in this game, there are also many other disciplines you can do with them such as hunters, jumpers, etc. which require higher confos in areas such as movement and balance. If you need more help with conformations don't hesitate to contact me, I just don't want to go too into detail in this post! If you are not a premium member and you still want a confo you can always ask on the public forums and a premium member will most likely respond!

-Discipline:
This relates to the subject above in many ways, but another topic besides their conformation to consider is their temperament. Again, you can get more information on this in other forum posts. But I personally breed for high strung (for racing) and bombproof (for Endurance).

2)Choose How You Start

There are two ways to start with Thoroughbreds. you can either purchase them from someone else or breed from scratch through the Auction house or horse on the market. If you so choose to purchase your TB's please feel free to contact me, as I find myself with many good horses on hand that I cannot find a use for! If you would rather start from scratch, check out this link to get the "recipe" which is under "Creation" on the site: https://www.horseworldonline.net/wiki/breed/28 When breeding your horses for the creation, be sure they have a "5" evaluation which can be achieved by purchasing a evaluation book in the book store under the "market" tab.

SECTION 2:
TRAINING

So I train a little similarly to Sawd10, but I differ in a few ways. This is my method:
-Train at the walk with Lunge on the Flat until Stamina is at 80%
-Train at the walk with Collection and Impulsion until Intelligence is at 99%
-Train at the walk with Raised Cavaletti until movement is at 99%
-Train at the walk with Jumping Obstacles until Agility is at 99%
-Train at the walk with Pull a Cart until strength is at 99%
-Train at the gallop with Lunge on the Flat until speed is at 99%

^It's long, but for me it works very well. If you follow all that is above, you should have 99%+ in all stats which would make a fully trained horse!

SECTION 3:
FEEDING

I think feeding can be one of the hardest things to figure out, especially in relation to keeping their temperament at a desired point. If I want my TB to have moderate weight and a high string temperament I HAVE to make sure that they are getting more sugar than fiber and protein. So I put them in a mowed pasture (while training them) and put them on 100% corn once they are off mares milk. Once they have reached moderate weight I put them in a barn and keep their feed at 100%. If their weight starts to immediately decline once they are in a barn, don't worry about it, it usually goes back up. HOWEVER, if it does not, then you can always put them back in the mowed pasture.
SECTION 4:
WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR THOROUGHBRED
There are a variety of options you can take once you have gotten your horse trained and/or achieved a breeding goal. Here are a few suggestions:

Compete!
There are so many competitions the community provides that you can enter your horse in! TB's (as I said earlier) typically excel in racing, but they do well in many other disciplines as well! by entering shows you can receive money and your horse gets championship titles which is a lot of fun!

Sell:
If you train your TB and sell them as a fully trained horse with higher confos the horse can go for around 1 million sometimes. I usually sell my normal grinders for 200k, but my 60+ go for much more. My untrained horses go for about 5-10k each easily.

Grinder/personal enjoyment
Grinders can be beneficial for earning money and PT, so it is always nice to have a couple standing by for when you will need them. Also, you may just want to breed and raise and train your horses for fun! They can be just a project you have!

I HOPE this was helpful, and if y'all have ANY questions, please DO NOT quote this post, but instead quote the one below! Thanks y'all and enjoy HWO!!

“The starting point of all achievement is desire.”
-Napoleon Hill
islandhill
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: How I Breed, Train, Feed, and Sell my Thoroughbreds.

Post by islandhill »

QUOTE THIS FOR ANY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS!!!

-Napoleon Hill
~besthorsebreeder~
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ~besthorsebreeder~ »

islandhill wrote:QUOTE THIS FOR ANY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS!!!
Great job! I will defiantly be adding this to my links at the bottom of my farm page :D
“Whatever you do, always give 100%. Unless you’re donating blood.” -Bill Murray

Official Stud Page: [closed, being renovated now]

~BHB~
islandhill
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by islandhill »

~besthorsebreeder~ wrote:
islandhill wrote:QUOTE THIS FOR ANY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS!!!
Great job! I will defiantly be adding this to my links at the bottom of my farm page :D
Awesome! Thank you so much! :D

-Napoleon Hill
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 12:51 pm

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:51 pm