Community Forum

Removal of slur from naming suggestions

Comment on features or suggest new features for inclusion in the game.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Removal of slur from naming suggestions

Post by Malakai10 »

G*psy is a slur against Romani people. Thus I would suggest the removal of G**** from naming options and changing G**** Vanner to Traditional Irish Cob or Romani Cob (NOT to T*inker horse as that is also a slur.)
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Removal of slur from naming suggestions

Post by Silverine »

I understand where you're coming from but I disagree. There was actually a lot of thought that went into the naming of the Gypsy Vanner breed (you can read about that and some of the current debate in this article). It was given its name by the first importers to the United States and they didn't do it as a slur or unknowing of its history. They chose Gypsy because it encompassed not only the Romani people but also the other Traveler groups who made the horse what it is today. The consensus was that Gypsy was "the only word that honored everyone." There has also been a large push recently to reclaim "gypsy" and use it with pride within the community.

Specifically to the two names you suggested - Traditional Irish Cob removes the Traveler association entirely, erasing the group that created the horse, and Romani Cob discounts an enormous part of that group.

The breed also has recognition in the game as it currently is. Laypeople coming to the game are much more likely to recognize the Gypsy Vanner as a breed than any other name it could go by.

So I think at this point in time it is best to leave the breed name as it is. If at some point there comes a consensus as to a renaming of the breed IRL then I would be all for changing it in-game, but right now that is not the case.
Gabby Woodlark
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gabby Woodlark »

Silverine wrote:I understand where you're coming from but I disagree. There was actually a lot of thought that went into the naming of the Gypsy Vanner breed (you can read about that and some of the current debate in this article). It was given its name by the first importers to the United States and they didn't do it as a slur or unknowing of its history. They chose Gypsy because it encompassed not only the Romani people but also the other Traveler groups who made the horse what it is today. The consensus was that Gypsy was "the only word that honored everyone." There has also been a large push recently to reclaim "gypsy" and use it with pride within the community.

Specifically to the two names you suggested - Traditional Irish Cob removes the Traveler association entirely, erasing the group that created the horse, and Romani Cob discounts an enormous part of that group.

The breed also has recognition in the game as it currently is. Laypeople coming to the game are much more likely to recognize the Gypsy Vanner as a breed than any other name it could go by.

So I think at this point in time it is best to leave the breed name as it is. If at some point there comes a consensus as to a renaming of the breed IRL then I would be all for changing it in-game, but right now that is not the case.
I agree.

-Gabbs
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Iris Rock Stables »

Malakai10 wrote:G*psy is a slur against Romani people. Thus I would suggest the removal of G**** from naming options and changing G**** Vanner to Traditional Irish Cob or Romani Cob (NOT to T*inker horse as that is also a slur.)
You learn something new everyday, i didn't realize g*psy was quite a harmful term to some others. Good to know
Iris Rock Stables
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Iris Rock Stables »

Silverine wrote:I understand where you're coming from but I disagree. There was actually a lot of thought that went into the naming of the Gypsy Vanner breed (you can read about that and some of the current debate in this article). It was given its name by the first importers to the United States and they didn't do it as a slur or unknowing of its history. They chose Gypsy because it encompassed not only the Romani people but also the other Traveler groups who made the horse what it is today. The consensus was that Gypsy was "the only word that honored everyone." There has also been a large push recently to reclaim "gypsy" and use it with pride within the community.

Agreed, its a horse breed and might be difficult to change IRL
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 6:35 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:35 pm