Community Forum

Height Question

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Gabby Woodlark
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Height Question

Post by Gabby Woodlark »

So... I've started yet another project (My third), which is high TBs.

I'm not too familiar with genetic heights and such, so I need some help.

For a newborn, what height would it be to eventually grow into 20 hands or taller?
What should I look for in my herd?
Is there a certain time when horses stop growing?

Ty :)

-Gabbs
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Height Question

Post by BlackOak2 »

From my notes, 11.3 hands birth and upward. Although, from 10 hands, there is likely a slim chance. The larger the newborn, the larger the adult height-spread.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Height Question

Post by EclipticEnd »

You can also kind of use evaluations for this. Evals take into account the adult height of a foal, so if you use an eval book you can estimate thereabout the adult height of the foal.

The Belgian book checks 16.0hh to 21.3hh and the Clydesdale book checks 16.3hh to 18.1hh; if a foal fails the Clydesdale height check but succeeds the Belgian height check, you'll know that it'll be between 18.1hh and 21.3hh.

I'm not familiar with the max height in the game, but the one issue would be that if your foal is taller than 21.3hh, it'll count as a fail with the Belgian height evaluation. I'm peeking through all the breeds now to check if there's any that're taller than 21.3hh or closer to maximum 20hh than the 18.1hh of the Clydesdale. I'll update this if I find anything.

Also, a quick edit: If you want to broaden your height margin to allow less than 18hh, you'll have to use a different eval than Clydesdale. Brandenburger, for instance, have a max eval at 17hh exactly, which would widen the test margin to between 17.0hh-21.3hh.

Another edit: I just realized that Belgian's min is 16.0, and Clydesdale's min is 16.3. You could, therefore, get a false positive if the foal falls between 16.0 and 16.3hh. To combat this, you can do a Cleveland Bay evaluation, which tests between 16.0hh and 17.0hh. If that evaluation fails and the Belgian succeeds, your foal is over 17.0hh. If the Clydesdale eval also fails, your foal is above 18.1hh.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 pm