Community Forum

Need help

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Coda
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Need help

Post by Coda »

Hi there
I have some horses which I dont know why they have changed colours so much?
Would you be able to help me with the colours and what gene could have done this
Thanks

Rosewood Charming Saturn

Rosewood Seastar Infusion

Rosewood Watch Me Grow

Rosewood Watching Dreams
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Need help

Post by Nazarach »

Coda wrote:Hi there
Would you be able to help me with the colours and what gene could have done this
Thanks

Rosewood Charming Saturn
That one is kinda mean; (1.) He got the Snowflake/Lp gene from his sire - best seen in the picture at 4.42 years - and is varnishing quite a lot before (2.) his grey(ing) sets fully in. Grey horses/foals are always easy to spot cause the foal already has their grown/adult coat.
So, grey and Leopard complex on a silver smoky black pearl base are the main causes here = Grey Silver Smoky Black w/ Lp
Here the grey is also at fault - though she's got less heavy varnish/snowflakes than her half-brother ;)
So I'm pretty sure she is Grey on a Cremello base coat = Grey Cremello w/ Lp
This one has heavy varnish with bronzening caused by Leopard complex on a black pearl base = Black Pearl w/ Lp
black foals are born brown rather than black, so its actually a normal thing for them to go from brown to black - and cause she also expresses Lp quite a bit she's varnishing and bronzening over time. So black base with Lp = Black w/ Lp

dunno if you noticed this guide but I still find it really helpfull for coat/gene explanations :)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2158
Coda
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Need help

Post by Coda »

Nazarach wrote:
Coda wrote:Hi there
Thanks

Rosewood Charming Saturn
That one is kinda mean; (1.) He got the Snowflake/Lp gene from his sire - best seen in the picture at 4.42 years - and is varnishing quite a lot before (2.) his grey(ing) sets fully in. Grey horses/foals are always easy to spot cause the foal already has their grown/adult coat.
So, grey and Leopard complex on a silver smoky black pearl base are the main causes here = Grey Silver Smoky Black w/ Lp
Here the grey is also at fault - though she's got less heavy varnish/snowflakes than her half-brother ;)
So I'm pretty sure she is Grey on a Cremello base coat = Grey Cremello w/ Lp
This one has heavy varnish with bronzening caused by Leopard complex on a black pearl base = Black Pearl w/ Lp
black foals are born brown rather than black, so its actually a normal thing for them to go from brown to black - and cause she also expresses Lp quite a bit she's varnishing and bronzening over time. So black base with Lp = Black w/ Lp

dunno if you noticed this guide but I still find it really helpfull for coat/gene explanations :)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2158
Thank you so much, I have never been good with coat colours and that
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 9:37 pm

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 9:37 pm