Community Forum

Trouble With Morgan Breeding

Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Trouble With Morgan Breeding

Post by Twisted_Briar »

Hello! I've come here to potentially get help from some people who might be more knowledgeable than I.

Currently I am trying to breed Standardbreds, and the Morgan is one breed you need in order to do that. Because there aren't a ton of Morgans on the market (and if there are any, they're stale and/or are asking for ridiculous prices) I have attempted to breed them for quite some time. I'm beginning to get to the point where I'm not sure if I'm breeding it correctly, or perhaps I'm missing something.

After finding a couple Arabian x Welsh Cob studs, I attempted to breed those with one of my Thoroughbreds - about three times or so, but was unsuccessful. The studs were fine - I saw they had Morgan foals in their progeny. So I started wondering if it might've been my Thoroughbred - despite her being a generation +5. I acquired a new Thoroughbred mare, and bred her with an Arabian x Welsh Cob, but also ended up getting another Half Thoroughbred.

So, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Is the fault mine, or is the Morgan extremely hard to successfully breed? Something makes me think its the former, but I'm wondering now if it might be the latter. I know this post is probably more wordy than it needs to be lol, but I wanted to make sure I was explaining my current situation right.
twxlip
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Trouble With Morgan Breeding

Post by twxlip »

Hey! There are two possibilities for this- One, if you haven't tried evaluating your horses (You can buy the books in the book store, any book works to tell you the body type, what percent % horse type your horse is, etc! if you have evaluated them, ignore this!) Another reason, is if you haven't completed the breeding quests up to access the recipe. If thats the case, I'm sure many players will be able to help you along your way to reach your goal, like myself! If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! Hopefully this helped you a bit, let me know if you need me to go into more depth :D
“When riding a horse we leave our fear, troubles, and sadness behind on the ground.”— Juli Carlson.
Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Twisted_Briar »

twxlip wrote:Hey! There are two possibilities for this- One, if you haven't tried evaluating your horses (You can buy the books in the book store, any book works to tell you the body type, what percent % horse type your horse is, etc! if you have evaluated them, ignore this!) Another reason, is if you haven't completed the breeding quests up to access the recipe. If thats the case, I'm sure many players will be able to help you along your way to reach your goal, like myself! If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! Hopefully this helped you a bit, let me know if you need me to go into more depth :D
I think I'm beginning to get the picture now. No, I haven't actually evaluated any of my horses yet, which leads to another question. I just got the Thoroughbred evaluation book, and evaluated the current Thoroughbred I have. Height, build, and body are good - but I got a 'poor' Type at 64%. Would this effect my breeding success?

I also haven't completed too many breeding quests either - though I have to say I was able to breed a couple miniatures successfully without unlocking the breeding recipes required for it (it too, like the Morgan, is locked).
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Twisted_Briar wrote:I think I'm beginning to get the picture now. No, I haven't actually evaluated any of my horses yet, which leads to another question. I just got the Thoroughbred evaluation book, and evaluated the current Thoroughbred I have. Height, build, and body are good - but I got a 'poor' Type at 64%. Would this effect my breeding success?

I also haven't completed too many breeding quests either - though I have to say I was able to breed a couple miniatures successfully without unlocking the breeding recipes required for it (it too, like the Morgan, is locked).
The books will tell you how well of a fit your horse is for whatever breed's book you use; as such, different breeds have different requirements, so even though your horse is poor for the Thoroughbred Type, it might be good for other breeds. In this case, you're wanting to see how well your Thoroughbred fits the Morgan breed, so you'll want to try the Morgan book on your Thoroughbred instead of the Thoroughbred one.

You'll have the easiest time breeding a new breed if the horses involved are at least four stars for the breed. That's not to say that you can't get a Morgan with, say, a three star evaluating Thoroughbred; there'll just be a lower probability of success.

Even with two five star horses, you can still end up not getting the breed that you're trying to make. It's slightly random chance; it might be that 2/5 horses that're born from the pair are the correct breed, and the other 3/5 are mixed breed. It's just how breeding works in this game; you're not guaranteed to always get what you're trying for, but better evaluations definitely increase your chances.

I'm guessing that the mare you're using is Hershey. Hershey has a 3* evaluation for Morgan. Here's the specific details:

The ideal Height for Morgans is 14hh-15.3hh. Hershey is 15.3hh and therefor gets a star for Height.
The ideal Build for Morgans is Very Light to Light. Hershey is a Medium Light build, and therefore does not get a star for Build.
The ideal Body Size for Morgans is 10% to 30%. Hershey is 24.75% and therefore gets a star for Body Size.
The ideal Type for Morgans is 90%-70% Horse Type. Hershey does not get a star for Type as she is 64% Horse Type.

You'll want to try to balance these factors out in order to breed yourself a Morgan. You'll want a stud between 14hh-15.3hh, preferably shorter than your mare. You'll want him to be a Very Light build to help balance out Hershey's Medium Light build. You'll want him to be between 10%-30% size, and you'll want him to be very high in Horse Type.

You can check all of these factors with any evaluation book; the Morgan book will simply tell you what you need to match in order to make a Morgan, which would be very different than, say, a Percheron.

The recipe for a Morgan is Thoroughbred X [Arabian X Welsh Cob].
Edit here: I clicked on the wrong Welsh Cob the first time, whoops! Regardless, only two pop up. The one that you currently have Hershey bred to is a three star evaluation for Morgan. The other one is a zero star evaluation. As such, your best choice without breeding a new Arabian x Welsh Cob mix is to keep using Morgan Make Me Cry. Since both of the horses are three stars, it'll take longer for a Morgan foal to be born. Additionally, he's a Part Arabian x Welsh Cob rather than a 50/50 mix; in my experience, that makes things take a little bit longer as well. It's possible that you'll eventually get a Morgan, but it might take quite a few breedings, or only one if the random chance is in your favor.

I'll also mention that it doesn't matter if you have the Morgan quest showing in your Player Quests; you'll still be able to make one even if that isn't unlocked at the current moment. It's just that the Morgan quest won't be counted as complete until it appears in your line of quests, but that doesn't matter if you're not trying to complete the breeding quest.

If you have any questions or need any help, let me know. I've breed a variety of breeds and I'm always open to helping out with the experience that's given me.
Twisted_Briar
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Twisted_Briar »

EclipticEnd wrote:
Twisted_Briar wrote:I think I'm beginning to get the picture now. No, I haven't actually evaluated any of my horses yet, which leads to another question. I just got the Thoroughbred evaluation book, and evaluated the current Thoroughbred I have. Height, build, and body are good - but I got a 'poor' Type at 64%. Would this effect my breeding success?

The books will tell you how well of a fit your horse is for whatever breed's book you use; as such, different breeds have different requirements, so even though your horse is poor for the Thoroughbred Type, it might be good for other breeds. In this case, you're wanting to see how well your Thoroughbred fits the Morgan breed, so you'll want to try the Morgan book on your Thoroughbred instead of the Thoroughbred one.

You'll have the easiest time breeding a new breed if the horses involved are at least four stars for the breed. That's not to say that you can't get a Morgan with, say, a three star evaluating Thoroughbred; there'll just be a lower probability of success.

Even with two five star horses, you can still end up not getting the breed that you're trying to make. It's slightly random chance; it might be that 2/5 horses that're born from the pair are the correct breed, and the other 3/5 are mixed breed. It's just how breeding works in this game; you're not guaranteed to always get what you're trying for, but better evaluations definitely increase your chances.

I'm guessing that the mare you're using is Hershey. Hershey has a 3* evaluation for Morgan. Here's the specific details:

The ideal Height for Morgans is 14hh-15.3hh. Hershey is 15.3hh and therefor gets a star for Height.
The ideal Build for Morgans is Very Light to Light. Hershey is a Medium Light build, and therefore does not get a star for Build.
The ideal Body Size for Morgans is 10% to 30%. Hershey is 24.75% and therefore gets a star for Body Size.
The ideal Type for Morgans is 90%-70% Horse Type. Hershey does not get a star for Type as she is 64% Horse Type.

You'll want to try to balance these factors out in order to breed yourself a Morgan. You'll want a stud between 14hh-15.3hh, preferably shorter than your mare. You'll want him to be a Very Light build to help balance out Hershey's Medium Light build. You'll want him to be between 10%-30% size, and you'll want him to be very high in Horse Type.

You can check all of these factors with any evaluation book; the Morgan book will simply tell you what you need to match in order to make a Morgan, which would be very different than, say, a Percheron.

The recipe for a Morgan is Thoroughbred X [Arabian X Welsh Cob].
Edit here: I clicked on the wrong Welsh Cob the first time, whoops! Regardless, only two pop up. The one that you currently have Hershey bred to is a three star evaluation for Morgan. The other one is a zero star evaluation. As such, your best choice without breeding a new Arabian x Welsh Cob mix is to keep using Morgan Make Me Cry. Since both of the horses are three stars, it'll take longer for a Morgan foal to be born. Additionally, he's a Part Arabian x Welsh Cob rather than a 50/50 mix; in my experience, that makes things take a little bit longer as well. It's possible that you'll eventually get a Morgan, but it might take quite a few breedings, or only one if the random chance is in your favor.

I'll also mention that it doesn't matter if you have the Morgan quest showing in your Player Quests; you'll still be able to make one even if that isn't unlocked at the current moment. It's just that the Morgan quest won't be counted as complete until it appears in your line of quests, but that doesn't matter if you're not trying to complete the breeding quest.

If you have any questions or need any help, let me know. I've breed a variety of breeds and I'm always open to helping out with the experience that's given me.

Thanks a million for this post! It's certainly helped a ton. These are things that I didn't even know about - I never tried using the book before. It certainly makes things a bit trickier in terms of having to find what you need to make a specific breed, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I'll let you know if I've got any questions :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 25, 2024 8:00 am

It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 8:00 am