Community Forum

Argent's Breeders' Report and Conformation Project Tracker

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Argent's Breeders' Report and Conformation Project Tracker

Post by Argent II »

I would put this under farm trackers, but I already have a thread there and this is more of a side project to integrate into my herd at a later date, so I'm going to keep this separate.

This thread will be for sharing my progress toward breeding the perfect, five-green Dressage horse. The attributes that Dressage horses are judge on are Movement, Balance, Tempo, and Strength. In the future, we will be able to train our horses in various skills; there are many skills to learn in Dressage, so it requires high Intelligence. Beyond just getting greens, I'm also striving to have horses who have green attributes despite poor conformation. So my end goal is five greens on a stallion who has no more than +5 conformation in mov/bal/tmp/str/int, with greens at +0 or negative being ideal. I would also like him to be solid black!

My current conformation stallions are:

This colt has green movement, tempo, balance, and intelligence. He is the first horse in the game to have four greens and the third to have three greens in dressage attributes (I also bred the first two). He has +0 in tempo conformation, with is perfect; he also has +5 in balance conformation, which is acceptable, but I would like to see that lowered to +0 as well; lastly, he has +16 in movement conformation, which is undesirable at the moment, so I'm hoping to lower that, too.

This colt has green strength, and as far as I know, is the first horse in the game to achieve this. However, his strength conformation is +8. My goal for him to to replicate the green on a son with +0 in strength conformation.

As you can see, both stallions are chestnut-based, so I'm going to have to breed that out at some point; the first is dun as well, which I also do not want. But color is a secondary goal!

I've managed to make tremendous progress in my breeders' reports in roughly a week, so my goal is to have five greens by the end of the month and my perfect black stallion by mid February. :D

Admin Edit: deleted all off topic comments and moved thread to Farm Logs subforum

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Argent's Breeders' Report and Conformation Project Tracker

Post by Argent II »

I haven't updated this in awhile. I've found that trying to get to 5 greens has reduced the overall quality of my horses, but I think things are finally starting to right themselves.

He's the best strength horse I've bred so far. That comment just recently started cropping up in my herd. His movement also isn't too terrible, so he shouldn't drag down that attribute too badly when I'm breeding in the higher strength.

This guy is my best combination of all dressage traits, with greens in tempo, balance, and intelligence, and high comments in strength and movement. I'm looking forward to seeing how he improves my herd.

This guy is part of a separate project to breed green speed, stamina, and agility, in hopes of getting as many greens mixed together as possible.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Ms. Trouble Maker
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Ms. Trouble Maker »

wow! Good job Argy!
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

Even better stallion overall. I'll switch off between this guy and the other two and hopefully see some quick improvement.

Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

For the speed/stamina/agility project. Two greens, one nearly so.

Same, but only one green. I like his comments better though.

Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

I have finally culled through my excessive stallion roster and narrowed my selection down to a dozen stallions that were exceptional in some way, when compared to my other options. I also spent a few generations breeding through my less-than-exceptional-but-still-great stallions in hopes of improving my broodmare herd, with some success. Still, I've hit another wall with my mares; they're getting to be pretty mediocre as of late. I may have to pull out some of the nicer mares I held back from earlier in my project, but I'm running low on those. I have had some nice stallions crop up since I started culling everything that was not "one fine mover," "easy on the eyes," or "a natural mover" including this guy:

I hate the way he looks, but I'm going to breed him to everything for a while and see if he can't improve my Movement quality even more. I am losing my Strength quality, however, which is really frustrating.

Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Cannot fault the breeder's report on that but gosh he is a funny looking beasty! Congratulations on the progress though, you are far more determined and patient than I :lol:
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

Slightly unrelated, but this filly is an interesting case study in unassuming horses performing well: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/256321. Not a single green, but she's earned my highest LS dressage score for an untrained horse at 34.49%. She also always places first at LS level 2, and places first most of the time at level 3, and places 5th to 3rd at level 4. She could easily win at level 5, and maybe level 6, with training. I'm tempted to train her just to see how far she can go.

EDIT: I was wrong, he's my best, with 35.01 http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/250346

Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Argent II wrote:Slightly unrelated, but this filly is an interesting case study in unassuming horses performing well: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/256321. Not a single green, but she's earned my highest LS dressage score for an untrained horse at 34.49%. She also always places first at LS level 2, and places first most of the time at level 3, and places 5th to 3rd at level 4. She could easily win at level 5, and maybe level 6, with training. I'm tempted to train her just to see how far she can go.

EDIT: I was wrong, he's my best, with 35.01 http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/250346
I have also found this with some of mine, I can't be bothered to trawl through but I have had horses with average breeding reports go on to beat ones with one or two greens. I'm starting to trust breeder's reports less and less...
Argent II
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

This guy has an interesting new comment. Green, too :)

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 6:11 am

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:11 am