Community Forum

ISO: Help in Naming Many Different Colours

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

ISO: Help in Naming Many Different Colours

Post by Woodstock »

Well...
I decided to breed a bunch of NABs with many different dilutes going on and as usual I am struggling to pin down specific genes.
I would appreciate any and all help. I tried to label colours as best as I could... anything with a question mark is where I am unsure although if it doesn't have a question mark I very well may still be wrong :lol: :roll:

https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/192842
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/192847
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/192053
BlackOak2 wrote:Hope you don't mind me pinging you here but I don't know anyone else as proficient at colours on here ;)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: ISO: Help in Naming Many Different Colours

Post by BlackOak2 »

Woodstock wrote:Well...
I decided to breed a bunch of NABs with many different dilutes going on and as usual I am struggling to pin down specific genes.
I would appreciate any and all help. I tried to label colours as best as I could... anything with a question mark is where I am unsure although if it doesn't have a question mark I very well may still be wrong :lol: :roll:

https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/192842
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/192847
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/192053
BlackOak2 wrote:Hope you don't mind me pinging you here but I don't know anyone else as proficient at colours on here ;)
:) There are quite a few of us. Although perhaps I'm the leading expert for duns...

But I don't mind being pinged at all.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3835267 - this one... is a pearl and cream. Dame is a double pearl, so can only send on a pearl. Since it's a double dilute, that means it's either double pearl or cream and pearl. Because of the color along the bottom of the stomach (think pangare points) I'd say that the dame was hiding a brown agouti gene and this horse is a smoky brown pearl (one cream & one pearl).

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3835418 - perlino champagne (bay base). So I agree. :P

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3835456 - since we now know that her dame is a double pearl, your double cream assumption isn't right. ;) Sire appears to be a smoky brown pearl, but might be a smoky black pearl... considering there's a stomach discoloration, my bet is on the brown. But I agree that this horse is on a bay base. So, cream and pearl on bay: buckskin pearl.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3835458 - this is a brightly colored champagne on bay. I agree with your conclusion... but I'm also thinking dun. Dame's color I agree with... Sire... would have to be a bay base... but he's not a perlino, I'm thinking bay pearl with dun. So this horse is an amber champagne (like you think) but with dun and a hidden pearl gene.

And I don't have time to go through the rest of them.

However, maybe
EclipticEnd wrote: could finish up? At least something. :P
First pasture is done, but the other two I don't have time currently to tackle.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Sure, I'll give it a try. I'm a bit sick today and I'm still working a bit at my Pearls and Cream/Pearls so you'll have to forgive any mistakes. I'll leave out the Tobiano parts of the colors as it'll be obvious if they are or not.

Pasture 2:
  • Bold Fondness is a Sooty Buckskin Pearl (Bay + Sooty + Cream/Pearl)
  • All Thoughts is a Buckskin Pearl (Bay + Cream/Pearl)
  • Freedom Image is a Gold Cream Roan (Chestnut + Cream/n + Champagne + Roan)
  • Rocket Peninsula is (tentatively) a Smoky Brown Pearl Roan (Brown + Cream/Pearl + Roan)
  • Fresh Fireworks is a Sooty Gold Cream (Chestnut + Sooty + Cream/n + Champagne)
  • Respectable Ether is a Brown Cream Dun (Brown + Cream/Cream + Dun)
  • Rhythm Risk is a Sable Cream (Brown + Cream/n + Champagne)
  • Puzzled Illusion is an Amber Cream (Bay + Cream/n + Champagne)
  • Amber Planet is a Palomino Pearl Roan (Chestnut + Cream/Pearl + Roan)
  • Troubled Elf is right, just noting that he might be hiding another dilute (cream or possibly pearl?) from the sire.
  • Wooden Lumber looks like maybe a Sooty Silver Buckskin Pearl? That's my best guess, not 100% certain. (Bay + Sooty + Silver + Cream/Pearl)
  • Demonic Glaze is a Sable Cream (Brown + Cream/n + Champagne)
Pasture 3:
  • Twisted My Quarters is a Sable Cream Roan (Brown + Cream/n + Champagne + Roan)
  • Flower Key is a Buckskin Pearl Roan (Bay + Cream/Pear + Roan)
  • Vanilla Raider is right, just adding that they're also Sooty
  • Aubergine Gold is a Gold Champagne (Chestnut + Champagne)
  • Cinnamon Tie looks a lot like one that I have which is a Smoky Black Pearl Champagne but I can't guarantee that they're exactly the same color. Yours is slightly lighter but yours is also older and Champagne fades with age. That's just my best guess and it's a possibility with the outcomes of the foals. (Black + Cream/Pearl + Champagne)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I'm going to agree with Rocket Peninsula, with the inclusion of tiger eye.

Wooden Lumber is a question mark. I think I'm going to agree with that conclusion.

I don't know about Cinnamon Tie. offspring don't help too much either. I'm going to agree at this point.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

EclipticEnd wrote:Ping
BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
I have just realized that I never thanked you guys for all of this! I appreciate it very much! I have way more pearl in the herd than I thought I did! So just to be sure, a double pearl parent will always pass on a pearl gene therefore pearl is a dominant gene?
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Woodstock wrote:
EclipticEnd wrote:Ping
BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
I have just realized that I never thanked you guys for all of this! I appreciate it very much! I have way more pearl in the herd than I thought I did! So just to be sure, a double pearl parent will always pass on a pearl gene therefore pearl is a dominant gene?
Pearl's a recessive gene; a horse has to either have two pearl or one pearl and one cream in order for it to be visible. Cream's dominant where you only need one gene for it to show.

If your horse has two pearl genes (homozygous) then it's guaranteed to pass one pearl gene down to all of its offspring. Whether it's visible depends on the other parent's genetics. If your horse has one pearl gene (heterozygous) then it's a 50/50 chance for it to pass that gene down. A foal is always guaranteed a gene if a parent is homozygous for it.
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

EclipticEnd wrote: Pearl's a recessive gene; a horse has to either have two pearl or one pearl and one cream in order for it to be visible. Cream's dominant where you only need one gene for it to show.

If your horse has two pearl genes (homozygous) then it's guaranteed to pass one pearl gene down to all of its offspring. Whether it's visible depends on the other parent's genetics. If your horse has one pearl gene (heterozygous) then it's a 50/50 chance for it to pass that gene down. A foal is always guaranteed a gene if a parent is homozygous for it.
Ah got it! I tend to always forget about the cream and pearl combo :lol:

This makes so much more sense now! Something about the dilutes has always gotten me twisted up in knots trying to figure them out :roll:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Post by Woodstock »

Silverine wrote:ping
Hope you don't mind me pinging you here! I have a quick question about a triple dilute... We believe this one to be a black base (heterozygous) with a cream, pearl and heterozygous champagne. Just wondering your thoughts on the matter and whether you can confirm or deny :lol:
Cinnamon Tie

Thanks!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Woodstock wrote: Hope you don't mind me pinging you here! I have a quick question about a triple dilute... We believe this one to be a black base (heterozygous) with a cream, pearl and heterozygous champagne. Just wondering your thoughts on the matter and whether you can confirm or deny :lol:
Cinnamon Tie

Thanks!
Always happy to help. :)

Hmm. I would tend to agree, but with the addition of a silver gene. The horse is lighter than would be typical for that combo without silver. That by itself could be explained by lightening from the champagne gene, but she also has this Silver Classic Champagne foal. The sire is chestnut, which could hide silver, but he has not thrown it to any of his other black-based foals so I'm tempted to think it comes from the horse in question.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 am

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 am