Community Forum

Do you breed anything in real life?

StellaSim
Visit My Farm

Do you breed anything in real life?

Post by StellaSim »

Does anyone here practice animal husbandry in real life? I just got into breeding meat rabbits. Its been quite interesting and I've been learning a lot. There are even some similarities with horses as far as basic color genetics go.
If you do breed animals in real life, what animals do you breed? Are they for food, show, or pets?
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Re: Do you breed anything in real life?

Post by Diamond Filly »

StellaSim wrote:Does anyone here practice animal husbandry in real life? I just got into breeding meat rabbits. Its been quite interesting and I've been learning a lot. There are even some similarities with horses as far as basic color genetics go.
If you do breed animals in real life, what animals do you breed? Are they for food, show, or pets?
My family also breeds meat rabbits. Some other animals we raise are:
Pigs
Chickens
Turkeys

We breed all of these for meat, except for we have laying hens too.
StellaSim
Visit My Farm

Post by StellaSim »

StellaSim wrote:Does anyone here practice animal husbandry in real life? I just got into breeding meat rabbits. Its been quite interesting and I've been learning a lot. There are even some similarities with horses as far as basic color genetics go.
Diamond Filly wrote:My family also breeds meat rabbits. Some other animals we raise are:
Pigs
Chickens
Turkeys

We breed all of these for meat, except for we have laying hens too.
That's so cool! We want to get pigs eventually, but we can't have them where we are at now. What breed of rabbit do you raise? We had Dutch Rabbits.
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

StellaSim wrote:
That's so cool! We want to get pigs eventually, but we can't have them where we are at now. What breed of rabbit do you raise? We had Dutch Rabbits.
Mostly Flemish Giants. We have two New Zealand cross does though. We tried Rex rabbits before, but they were small.
StellaSim
Visit My Farm

Post by StellaSim »

Diamond Filly wrote:Mostly Flemish Giants. We have two New Zealand cross does though. We tried Rex rabbits before, but they were small.
Yeah the dutch are pretty small but they work for our area right now.
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

StellaSim wrote:
Diamond Filly wrote:Mostly Flemish Giants. We have two New Zealand cross does though. We tried Rex rabbits before, but they were small.
Yeah the dutch are pretty small but they work for our area right now.
Yeah. My sister and I like to take the baby rabbits out of their cage to the grass so they can eat and play. We have a lot of fun with them before they get too old to carry around.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

My family raises some club calves for shows. We got a couple of my old heifers and a nice Bull now, though we usually do AI.
StellaSim
Visit My Farm

Post by StellaSim »

KYTrainer wrote: My family raises some club calves for shows. We got a couple of my old heifers and a nice Bull now, though we usually do AI.
That's pretty cool! Any specific breeds?
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

StellaSim wrote:
KYTrainer wrote: My family raises some club calves for shows. We got a couple of my old heifers and a nice Bull now, though we usually do AI.
That's pretty cool! Any specific breeds?
We don't have a specific breed, but we've got a shorthorn, a percentage Chianina, a Hereford, and 2 charlaise
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 9:00 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:00 am