Community Forum

At loss with some of these dilutions

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
SelHukka
Visit My Farm

At loss with some of these dilutions

Post by SelHukka »

Hi! Sometimes I feel like I'm slowly getting the hang of things when it comes to indetifying colors, but then I get foals that have me questioning or make me lose my mind completely :D So I'd really appreciate if someone could verify what I'm guessing, or help when I have no idea.

I used these two guides as reference:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2158
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42534

1. ᛄᚢᛏ Cirrus

I'm thinking apricot champagne (chestnut + champagne + 2 pearl) because of the dark eyes and the slight warm saturation of her fur. Doesn't seem like 1 cream + 1 pearl or 2 cream, she should have blue eyes then right? And she seems too light to be just gold champagne (chestnut + champagne).

2. ᛄᚢᛏ Funkeln

Wild dunskin tobiano (wild bay + 1 cream + dun + tobiano)? She just seems darker than other dunskins I've had, but too light for a normal dun.

3. ᛄᚢᛏ Schwarze Augen

Mayyyybe sable pearl (brown + champagne + 2 pearl)? I see that he's brown based but I've never had a color like his. Again, I doubt the 2 cream or 1 cream + 1 pearl combo, since he doens't have blue eyes.

4. ᛄᚢᛏ Ich Spüre Dich

She's just so light that I can't figure her out. Her sire is blindingly white, while her dam is a dunskin. I see she has faint dun stripes, champagne dots, and geenish-blue eyes. Could she be chestnut based, since her mane has a warm hue?

5. ᛄᚢᛏ Lux

Just gold champagne dun?

6. ᛄᚢᛏ Licht

Palomino pearl tobiano with pangare? He seems too dark and saturated to me to be a cremello. BUT what is that faint dappling on him???

7. ♢ ‣A‣ ♢ Lothlórien's Dessert

Sooty gold cream (chestnut + champagne + 1 cream + sooty)?

8. ᛄᚢᛏ Kreuz

She is giving me a headache. Black based because of the dapples? And silver because of the light mane. There's also champagne and some other dilutions, maybe 1 cream + 1 pearl because of the warm saturation? Could she possibly be something like black + champagne + 1 cream + 1 pearl + silver? And how do you even call such a combination?

9. ᛄᚢᛏ Zähnen

Do you think she's a gold champagne dun, or just gold champagne?
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Re: At loss with some of these dilutions

Post by brettdiesel »

#6 is a Dappled palamino i think
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

SelHukka wrote:
1. Cirrus is Gold Cream - chestnut + champagne + 1x cream. He got the champagne from dad and the cream from mom. He may have dun, but it's extremely faint if so.

2. You are correct - Buckskin Dun. Bay + dun + 1x cream. She also has sooty, which is what is making her darker.

3. Not a sable pearl. Mom has cream, so can't have hidden pearl. He is Sable Cream - brown + champagne + 1x cream.

4. Silver Classic Cream Pearl - black + champagne + silver + cream/pearl combo. The sire is double pearl. So she got a pearl from the sire and a cream the dam. She will always pass either a cream or a pearl.

5. Yes, but with flaxen.

6. Silver Smoky Cream Pearl - black + silver + cream/pearl combo. Same as #4 but without the champagne. The dapples come from the silver gene. (Also this one's mother is Brown Cream Dun, not Smoky Cream Dun - brown base, not black.)

7. You are correct as far as I can tell.

8. Silver Classic Dun - black + silver + champagne + dun. Carries a hidden pearl from the sire.

9. Definitely dun. And flaxen.
SelHukka
Visit My Farm

Post by SelHukka »

Silverine wrote:
SelHukka wrote:
Wow, thanks so much for your advice! So a horse can't be a hidden pearl carrier if there's cream present? Or am I completely misunderstanding this :D
Last edited by SelHukka on Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

SelHukka wrote: Wow, thanks so much for your advice! Didn't know before that a horse can't be a hidden pearl carrier if there's cream present. This helps a lot, cheers! :D
Yeah, that's a common mistake people make. :)

So cream and pearl are located at the same spot on the chromosome. Each spot can only have two things. So for cream and pearl your options are:
-No cream or pearl
-One cream only
-One pearl only
-Two creams
-Two pearls
-One cream and one pearl
SelHukka
Visit My Farm

Post by SelHukka »

Silverine wrote:
SelHukka wrote:
Ohhh okay this makes a lot more sense now. Thank you!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 01, 2024 11:30 pm

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:30 pm