Community Forum

Confusing dilute foal

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
JaycenUwU
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Confusing dilute foal

Post by JaycenUwU »

This lil fella has me stumped, he seems to have dun (ear tips) maybe silver (about 5 gens back he has a reocurring stallion called Space Race who is silver dapple) lots of champagnes on his dams side, lots of duns on his sires side

His legs are becoming more silvery as he gets older ;u;
123qwewet
Visit My Farm

Re: Confusing dilute foal

Post by 123qwewet »

JaycenUwU
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by JaycenUwU »

Definitely not grey as they're born their base colour or a muggy steel colour, 1 is a perlino and 2 is a sooty dun, as this guy grows i think he may be Bay Cr1 Dun
Aubergine
Visit My Farm

Post by Aubergine »

Probably not dun. Sooty Buckskin.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

JaycenUwU wrote:
Definitely not grey as they're born their base colour or a muggy steel colour, 1 is a perlino and 2 is a sooty dun, as this guy grows i think he may be Bay Cr1 Dun
He is a bay dun. No cream.

Dun can cause fading on the ankles. There might also be some sooty at work, this may be causing the odd darker-lighter areas of his body.
As far as the silvering style on the black areas of the legs... It's most likely caused by the dun as it expanded along the leg.
Dun causes black hairs to turn grullo and on a black horse; the entire body can end up this way. So this is the most likely culprit.
Actually, it's a nice outcome. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
JaycenUwU
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by JaycenUwU »

BlackOak2 wrote:
JaycenUwU wrote: Definitely not grey as they're born their base colour or a muggy steel colour, 1 is a perlino and 2 is a sooty dun, as this guy grows i think he may be Bay Cr1 Dun

Dun can cause fading on the ankles. There might also be some sooty at work, this may be causing the odd darker-lighter areas of his body.
As far as the silvering style on the black areas of the legs... It's most likely caused by the dun as it expanded along the leg.
Dun causes black hairs to turn grullo and on a black horse; the entire body can end up this way. So this is the most likely culprit.
Thank you! Hes a lot darker now, he was very pale with slightly pink hues and silver legs, so was confused, now hes grown hes very obviously bay dun :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

JaycenUwU wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Thank you! Hes a lot darker now, he was very pale with slightly pink hues and silver legs, so was confused, now hes grown hes very obviously bay dun :lol:
Yuppers! He does look like a pink foal.
From my recent pangare study, theoretically, if you were to mix him with a pangare mare (or the parents, for that matter) you might actually get a pink horse (mealy bay dun). Baby pangare appears to tell what type of pangare-related genes the horse likely carries.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

JaycenUwU wrote:This lil fella has me stumped, he seems to have dun (ear tips) maybe silver (about 5 gens back he has a reocurring stallion called Space Race who is silver dapple) lots of champagnes on his dams side, lots of duns on his sires side

His legs are becoming more silvery as he gets older ;u;
Silver Dun
fluffyfg
Visit My Farm

Post by fluffyfg »

Looks like a Dunskin to me. Definitely no Silver, it's dominant and would show up as a white mane and tail.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 12:08 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:08 pm