Community Forum

I'm lost again

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

I'm lost again

Post by Sunpath »

Would be very grateful if someone could help me with the colour of this mare. I love how she looks but I don't even know what to begin guessing for colour wise.

Edit to add: My best guess is Silver classic champagne.
Last edited by Sunpath on Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunpath Acres brand: - Ṩᴬ -
Second account: SunpathAcres
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Re: I'm lost again

Post by brettdiesel »

Sunpath wrote:

Would be very grateful if someone could help me with the colour of this mare. I love how she looks but I don't even know what to begin guessing for colour wise.
Grey Palimino
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

HorseBrett wrote:
Sunpath wrote:

Grey Palimino
This is not a palomino going grey. A palomino going grey doesn't look like this, and neither parent is grey so this horse can not be grey.
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Post by brettdiesel »

Sunpath wrote:
HorseBrett wrote: Grey Palimino
This is not a palomino going grey. A palomino going grey doesn't look like this, and neither parent is grey so this horse can not be grey.
Niether parent is ever grey and i still get grey horses out of them i tryed ( yes there is such thing as grey palomino)
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

HorseBrett wrote:
Sunpath wrote: This is not a palomino going grey. A palomino going grey doesn't look like this, and neither parent is grey so this horse can not be grey.
Niether parent is ever grey and i still get grey horses out of them i tryed ( yes there is such thing as grey palomino)
No, there is not. A palomino is a chestnut with x1 cream. A palomino can indeed go grey, but they will grey out like any other horse and eventually go white. In order to go grey the horse needs to inherit the gene for grey from at least one of it's parents. Grey can not be hidden, if it's present it will show. So this horse is not a grey. I've come as far as to guess that champagne and silver is at play here.
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Post by brettdiesel »

Sunpath wrote:
HorseBrett wrote: Niether parent is ever grey and i still get grey horses out of them i tryed ( yes there is such thing as grey palomino)
No, there is not. A palomino is a chestnut with x1 cream. A palomino can indeed go grey, but they will grey out like any other horse and eventually go white. In order to go grey the horse needs to inherit the gene for grey from at least one of it's parents. Grey can not be hidden, if it's present it will show. So this horse is not a grey. I've come as far as to guess that champagne and silver is at play here.
And what is champange i only know it as a nasty drink i drink burben and whiskey and im going off of RL colors ( i have a ranch i know what i mean ) we have several RL Grey Palominos and we get top dollar for them.i was just trying to help
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

HorseBrett wrote:
Sunpath wrote: No, there is not. A palomino is a chestnut with x1 cream. A palomino can indeed go grey, but they will grey out like any other horse and eventually go white. In order to go grey the horse needs to inherit the gene for grey from at least one of it's parents. Grey can not be hidden, if it's present it will show. So this horse is not a grey. I've come as far as to guess that champagne and silver is at play here.
And what is champange i only know it as a nasty drink i drink burben and whiskey and im going off of RL colors ( i have a ranch i know what i mean ) we have several RL Grey Palominos and we get top dollar for them.i was just trying to help
When we talk about colours in HWO, we talk about actual genetics. Not what it looks to the naked eye. If you look closely at this horse, you see that it has a mottled muzzle. That is a telltale sign that there is something else than chestnut + 1 cream (=palomino) at play. Champagne is a dilution gene. Google champagne coloured horse and you'll see examples and you can read up more about it. Most likely the horse I am asking about has champagne and at least one other dilution gene at play. Your RL so called grey palominos are genetically not grey palominos, their genetics either look like any other palominos (chestnut + 1 cream) and people for some reason percieve them as looking grey to the naked eye, or they aren't palominos at all but rather something else. I googled the term "grey palomino" and found nothing but palominos that were going grey (=turning white).
Last edited by Sunpath on Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Post by brettdiesel »

Sunpath wrote:
HorseBrett wrote: And what is champange i only know it as a nasty drink i drink burben and whiskey and im going off of RL colors ( i have a ranch i know what i mean ) we have several RL Grey Palominos and we get top dollar for them.i was just trying to help
When we talk about colours in HWO, we talk about actual genetics. Not what it looks to the naked eye. If you look closely at this horse, you see that it has a mottled muzzle. That is a telltale sign that there is something else than chestnut + 1 cream (=palomino) at bay. Champagne is a dilution gene. Google champagne coloured horse and you'll see examples and you can read up more about it. Most likely the horse I am asking about has champagne and at least one other dilution gene at play. Your RL so called grey palominos are genetically not grey palominos, their genetics either look like any other palominos (chestnut + 1 cream) and people for some reason percieve them as looking grey to the naked eye, or they aren't palominos at all but rather something else. I googled the term "grey palomino" and found nothing but palominos that were going grey (=turning white).
Ok but are we still friends or.....
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

HorseBrett wrote:
Sunpath wrote: When we talk about colours in HWO, we talk about actual genetics. Not what it looks to the naked eye. If you look closely at this horse, you see that it has a mottled muzzle. That is a telltale sign that there is something else than chestnut + 1 cream (=palomino) at bay. Champagne is a dilution gene. Google champagne coloured horse and you'll see examples and you can read up more about it. Most likely the horse I am asking about has champagne and at least one other dilution gene at play. Your RL so called grey palominos are genetically not grey palominos, their genetics either look like any other palominos (chestnut + 1 cream) and people for some reason percieve them as looking grey to the naked eye, or they aren't palominos at all but rather something else. I googled the term "grey palomino" and found nothing but palominos that were going grey (=turning white).
Ok but are we still friends or.....
I'm just trying to educate :)
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Post by brettdiesel »

Sunpath wrote:
HorseBrett wrote: Ok but are we still friends or.....
I'm just trying to educate :)
Ok :) :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 11:56 am

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:56 am