Community Forum

Part of dun or a mane gene?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Meanwhile
Visit My Farm

Part of dun or a mane gene?

Post by Meanwhile »

I know there are some fun little things that can happen in a roached mane that you normally don't get to see otherwise, but I've never seen this sort of red in there before. I was playing with completely different genes, but suddenly I get this guy with a super bright band of red in the base of his mane. It's really obvious in his baby pictures.

So, I'm wondering, is this caused by some part of the dun gene, or is this some variation of a mane-specific gene. Or something else entirely? Has anyone else seen this sort of thing expressed like this before? I feel like it's a super-bright version of things that I've seen in Prze's before, just never to this vibrant extent.

Red
Color Guide
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Part of dun or a mane gene?

Post by Color Guide »

Meanwhile wrote:I know there are some fun little things that can happen in a roached mane that you normally don't get to see otherwise, but I've never seen this sort of red in there before. I was playing with completely different genes, but suddenly I get this guy with a super bright band of red in the base of his mane. It's really obvious in his baby pictures.

So, I'm wondering, is this caused by some part of the dun gene, or is this some variation of a mane-specific gene. Or something else entirely? Has anyone else seen this sort of thing expressed like this before? I feel like it's a super-bright version of things that I've seen in Prze's before, just never to this vibrant extent.

Red
I would say it's part of the dun gene, but I could be wrong. I personally have not seen this before. I do know that Larissa has been working on new visuals to go along with dun so it could be part of that. Or it could just be something I haven't seen before. :lol:

BlackOak is more familiar with dun than I am, so I'll ping them.
BlackOak2 wrote:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Color Guide wrote:
Meanwhile wrote:I know there are some fun little things that can happen in a roached mane that you normally don't get to see otherwise, but I've never seen this sort of red in there before. I was playing with completely different genes, but suddenly I get this guy with a super bright band of red in the base of his mane. It's really obvious in his baby pictures.

I would say it's part of the dun gene, but I could be wrong. I personally have not seen this before. I do know that Larissa has been working on new visuals to go along with dun so it could be part of that. Or it could just be something I haven't seen before. :lol:

BlackOak is more familiar with dun than I am, so I'll ping them.
BlackOak2 wrote:
:D
Dun gene. Pairing the dun gene with strong expressions like this, alongside Pangare, can cause these bright mane bases to happen.
You can see that this stripe flows all the way down his backbone.

If dun and pangare were absent on this guy, he'd probably be a really bright red-bay.

Likely brighter and richer in color, than this one:

The color in the dun-spinal stripe isn't diluted by the dun itself, so what we're seeing is the horse's natural coloration.
But, if it's a dun artifact that'll be fixed with Larissar's work, that I don't know.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Meanwhile
Visit My Farm

Post by Meanwhile »

Oooo thank you both! I don't think I would have guessed that the brightness might correspond with how red his bay is under the dun and pangare. It makes sense that the dorsal stripe just shows their true color now that you say it, but I don't think I would have put that together myself. Also, it's cool that the mane-base color is basically part of that dorsal stripe effect. That's what it kind of felt like but I didn't know if there was any actual basis for that. Very cool!

I might try seeing if I can get that expression so show up even brighter just for the fun of it. I think it's a cool look. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Indeed it is!!

Good Luck! 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links