Community Forum

Changing the name of vanners

Comment on features or suggest new features for inclusion in the game.
JaycenUwU
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Changing the name of vanners

Post by JaycenUwU »

I know in the us they tend to be called g*psy vanners, but as the grandchild of a traveller that doesnt quite sit right with me, is there any way their name could be changed to traditional vanner? Or traditional cob, vanner cob, or something along those lines? Here in England (where they originate from) they're called traditional cobs or stepping cobs (stepping cobs are slightly finer and longer in the leg with flashier movement)
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Changing the name of vanners

Post by brettdiesel »

JaycenUwU wrote:I know in the us they tend to be called g*psy vanners, but as the grandchild of a traveller that doesnt quite sit right with me, is there any way their name could be changed to traditional vanner? Or traditional cob, vanner cob, or something along those lines? Here in England (where they originate from) they're called traditional cobs or stepping cobs (stepping cobs are slightly finer and longer in the leg with flashier movement)
whats wrong whith gypsy vanner????
JaycenUwU
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JaycenUwU »

KatieNoelHorse wrote:
JaycenUwU wrote:I know in the us they tend to be called g*psy vanners, but as the grandchild of a traveller that doesnt quite sit right with me, is there any way their name could be changed to traditional vanner? Or traditional cob, vanner cob, or something along those lines? Here in England (where they originate from) they're called traditional cobs or stepping cobs (stepping cobs are slightly finer and longer in the leg with flashier movement)
whats wrong whith gypsy vanner????
The word G*psy is a slur, used against the Romanian people and other travellers
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by brettdiesel »

JaycenUwU wrote:
KatieNoelHorse wrote: whats wrong whith gypsy vanner????
The word G*psy is a slur, used against the Romanian people and other travellers
???? Im sorry more detail please im verry confused
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

You can search the internet if you want information about slurs. No need for that discussion here.

We can absolutely change the name. Larissa says she will do some research to find the best name for the breed and try to fit that in after the next update she is currently working on.

If anyone has suggestions or links to resources I would appreciate that. So far Larissa likes "Tinker Horse" but I would like input for the community on this.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I like the name Tinker Horse as a replacement, as well, but that could also be considered a slur (along the same lines as the first, too).

Eh... I had more to say to this, but after rereading Tom's reminder:
No need for that discussion here.
I have decided to leave it be. -_-

But I have a small gripe with the entire thing and probably not the type of gripe that might be thought of.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

I suggest Irish Cob. just googling "traditional name for ----- Vanners" and this is what comes up. Of course I am biased as I have soft spot for Irish horses. But I defer to those with more knowledge and experience.
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

Tom wrote:You can search the internet if you want information about slurs. No need for that discussion here.

We can absolutely change the name. Larissa says she will do some research to find the best name for the breed and try to fit that in after the next update she is currently working on.

If anyone has suggestions or links to resources I would appreciate that. So far Larissa likes "Tinker Horse" but I would like input for the community on this.
I think it's fine the way it I'd is but if we had to choose I'd say "Tinker Horse" or just "Vanner"
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

It's not commonly used as a slur in North America and doesn't carry the negative connotations that it does in some places in Europe. It's also a complex issue as some people still use the word to identify themselves. From what I can tell the issue is hateful people using the word in a negative way and also misapplying the word to people it shouldn't be associated with, also in a negative way.

I think the best solution for HWO is to rename the breed to just "Vanner" and have the HWO breeds wiki updated to have the current name listed as a historical name so there is something to provide context and avoid confusion should this come up again in the future.
JaycenUwU wrote:"is there any way their name could be changed"
How does this sound to you?

Fun facts I found while looking into this:
"Vanner" refers to pulling a van, a term used for the wagons or carts they would pull.
"Cob" is the same thing as cob is another term for the carts.
"Tinker" is an old name for the job of someone who repairs tin housewares such as pots. Tinkers would have a cart with the tools and supplies for the job and so the cart would be called a tinker cart, or a tinker for short.
So it seems all three names pretty much just mean "a horse meant for pulling carts". :D

Thank you for being an awesome community and keeping this place civil. I really appreciate it.
JaycenUwU
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JaycenUwU »

Tom wrote:
I think the best solution for HWO is to rename the breed to just "Vanner" and have the HWO breeds wiki updated to have the current name listed as a historical name so there is something to provide context and avoid confusion should this come up again in the future.
that sounds perfect thank you!! I really appreciate this :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 am

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 am