Community Forum

Changing the name of vanners

Comment on features or suggest new features for inclusion in the game.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Changing the name of vanners

Post by Malakai10 »

Tom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:25 pm It's not commonly used as a slur in North America and doesn't carry the negative connotations that it does in some places in Europe. It's also a complex issue as some people still use the word to identify themselves. From what I can tell the issue is hateful people using the word in a negative way and also misapplying the word to people it shouldn't be associated with, also in a negative way.

I think the best solution for HWO is to rename the breed to just "Vanner" and have the HWO breeds wiki updated to have the current name listed as a historical name so there is something to provide context and avoid confusion should this come up again in the future.
JaycenUwU wrote:"is there any way their name could be changed"
How does this sound to you?

Fun facts I found while looking into this:
"Vanner" refers to pulling a van, a term used for the wagons or carts they would pull.
"Cob" is the same thing as cob is another term for the carts.
"Tinker" is an old name for the job of someone who repairs tin housewares such as pots. Tinkers would have a cart with the tools and supplies for the job and so the cart would be called a tinker cart, or a tinker for short.
So it seems all three names pretty much just mean "a horse meant for pulling carts". :D

Thank you for being an awesome community and keeping this place civil. I really appreciate it.
Hi Tom,

I've been told that tinker is a slur against Irish travellers and that 'Romani Cob' or 'Traditional Irish Cob' are acceptable breed names
Wolfspirat
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Changing the name of vanners

Post by Wolfspirat »

I know them as irish cobs as well, where i live (germany) theyre usually known as tinkers but idk how good of a replacement that would be, so id stick to irish cob.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 10:47 pm

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:47 pm