Community Forum

Please help me confirm these champagnes

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Sisenna
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Please help me confirm these champagnes

Post by Sisenna »

I have two horses I'd like help with, they are a mother/son duo.

First, the mother:

My first guess was a Silver Perlino Champagne, figuring her sire may carry silver, but after she had her colt, I'm double guessing myself. I rechecked the color guide, and now I'm not sure if she really is a perlino champagne (with or without silver, I guess all perlino champagnes have light mane/tail?) or whether she's really a silver amber cream champagne.

Now, for the son:

Maybe he's a silver amber cream champagne? I think his legs are too dark at the base to be a gold cream champage, though I think he has the cream gene. He has the potential to inherit dun from his sire, but I can't see a dorsal stripe even when I zoom way in with the picture taker, so I don't think he's dun.

I'd really appreciate your help!
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Please help me confirm these champagnes

Post by EclipticEnd »

Sisenna wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 am I have two horses I'd like help with, they are a mother/son duo.

First, the mother:

My first guess was a Silver Perlino Champagne, figuring her sire may carry silver, but after she had her colt, I'm double guessing myself. I rechecked the color guide, and now I'm not sure if she really is a perlino champagne (with or without silver, I guess all perlino champagnes have light mane/tail?) or whether she's really a silver amber cream champagne.

Now, for the son:

Maybe he's a silver amber cream champagne? I think his legs are too dark at the base to be a gold cream champage, though I think he has the cream gene. He has the potential to inherit dun from his sire, but I can't see a dorsal stripe even when I zoom way in with the picture taker, so I don't think he's dun.

I'd really appreciate your help!
I'm not sure how helpful I'll be but I'll give it a shot. The mother's definitely some sort of Amber Champagne with at least one cream, two is certainly possible. Silver is also very possible from the sire as you said. He is proven to carry Silver due to one of his foals.

Looking at the foal, the sire's a Bay Dun. A side note: the foal has leg barring on his upper legs and so is also a Dun. Dorsals can be difficult to see on pale horses, so always check the legs as well when they grow older. This horse (the sire) looks to be homo Dun as all of his foals carry it and both of his parents do as well, so this foal must also have it. Anyway, because the sire isn't Cream, the foal at most can be an Amber Cream. Amber Creams shouldn't have pale manes/tails from what I remember, so the foal (and therefore the mare) must be het for Silver. Like you said, those dark legs strike out Gold Cream.

Foal: Silver Amber Cream Dun

Back to the mare. Thanks to the foal we know she carries at least one Cream (which we knew) and is Het Silver (which we theorized but hadn't yet confirmed. She must be either Silver Amber Cream like the foal or Silver Perlino Champagne. You can confirm which simply by having more foals with her; if one is born without Cream then she's Amber Cream. I personally want to say that I'd expect a Silver Perlino Champagne to be very pale, but it's also been a while since I've played and messed with that combination of genes. I can say that the Mare's dam is an Amber Cream as a bit of a reference point; you can see how the mare's not especially paler than that one (and the other actually looks paler, but I suspect that's because of the mare's training shine.

Best guess for the mare: Silver Amber Cream

(The foal does look more yellow than the mare; I imagine that's due to the Dun :) )
Sisenna
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Please help me confirm these champagnes

Post by Sisenna »

EclipticEnd wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:24 am
Thank you! Champagne is not usually a color I breed for, so I don't have a lot of experience in that area. The champagne made the dun zebra stripes so pale I didn't recognize them as stripes. lol
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 11, 2024 12:00 pm

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:00 pm