Community Forum

HWO France TRAIT

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

HWO France TRAIT

Post by Weaving »

HWO France TRAIT

The France TRAIT aims to promote a strong network of French draught horse breeders, to better the nine breeds they focus on. The HWO France Trait will be much the same, connecting recognised breeders with one another, in order to enable bettering of existing breeds, as well as crossbreeding to produce new ones. The breeds currently accepted by the TRAIT are as follows:

Ardennais

Auxois

Boulonnais

Breton

Normand Cob

Poitevin

Percheron

Comtois

Trait du Nord
Last edited by Weaving on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: HWO France TRAIT

Post by Weaving »

Ardennais

The Ardennais is compact, heavy-set and very docile. It measures between 1.60m for females and 1.62m for males, with an adult weight of between 700 and 1,000kg. Its coat is bay or roan, possibly chestnut or iron grey and sometimes dun.

On HWO the Ardennais should be 14.2hh -16.3hh
Medium Heavy to Very Heavy
80% - 100% Bulk
70 - 90% Body Type

It is crossbred by mixing a Forest Horse and a Belgian

Recognised Breeders Include:
Buzzsaw of Rattle and Hum Farm
Neon of Kōwhai Station
Last edited by Weaving on Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Auxois

The cradle of the Auxois draught breed is located, as its name suggests, in the Auxois region of Burgundy. This lightly undulating, fertile region of grasslands reputed for their richness enabled a large (1.60m-1.70m), heavy horse with a sweeping and freeflowing gait to be bred. Its coat is generally bay or roan and it is also reputed for its docile and rustic character.

On HWO the Auxois should be

15.2hh - 17hh
75% - 95% Bulk
70% - 90% Pony Type

The Auxois is produced by crossbreeding an Ardennais x Percheron and a Boulonnais x Trait du Nord

Recognised Breeders include:
Weaving of Loomis Acres
Last edited by Weaving on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Boulonnais

The Boulonnais is a large draught horse with a smooth and active gait. It is very elegant and distinguished, which often gives it the nickname of the pure-blood of draught horses. The Boulonnais standard is split into two categories: the large Boulonnais, powerful and suited to ploughing and the small Boulonnais, known as the Mareyeur (fish seller), suited to quick transportation. Its height varies from 1.55m to 1.80m depending on the conformation and its weight can go from 600 to 900kg. The coat is mainly grey. There are a few chestnut horses (10%) and, more rarely, black. It is bred in the north of France and in Belgium.

On HWO the Boulonnais should be
15.3hh - 17hh
Medium Heavy to Heavy
60% - 80% Bulk
65% - 85% Pony Type

The Boulonnais is produced by crossbreeding a Spanish Barb with an Arabian x Forest Horse

Recognised breeders include:
Kintara of Kintara's Farm
Qim of Qim's Farm
Qim's Stallions Available on Request
Last edited by Weaving on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Breton

With a chestnut or red-roan coat, the Breton draught measures on average 1.58m for a weight of 800kg. Its range greatly exceeds the cradle of its breed, Brittany; it is particularly common in the mountainous regions of France as well as in Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil and Japan.

On HWO the Breton should be
15.3hh - 17hh
70% - 95% Bulk
70% - 90% Pony Type

The Breton can be produced by crossbreeding an Ardennais x Boulonnais with a Norfolk Trotter x Percheron

Gator Vocals of Gator Vocals' Farm
Last edited by Weaving on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Normand Cob

The Norman Cob is mainly bred in the Manche department and the neighbouring departments of Calvados and Orne. Another breeding centre has also developed in the Pays de Loire. Its medium build (it measures 1.60m - 1.65m and weighs from 550 to 800kg) makes it a long limbed, sturdy, harmonious and balanced horse. Its coat is bay or chestnut.

On HWO the Normand Cob should be
15.hh - 16.3hh
Medium to Medium Heavy
55% - 75% Bulk
50% - 70% Pony Type

The Normand Cob can be produced by breeding a Tarpan x Belgian with a Forest Horse x Belgian

Gator Vocals of Gator Vocal's Farm
Last edited by Weaving on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Poitevin

Easily recognisable from its long lines, the Poitevin draught mule mare has a long neck with a thick mane and powerful legs with thick and abundant feathering on the bottom half. It measures 1.60 to 1.70m with an average weight of 750kg for the males. Its coat, of varied colours, can be grey, black, bay or dun. Its breeding area extends throughout the Vendée, to Deux-Sèvres and Vienne, to the north of Charente Maritime and the north-west of Charente.

On HWO the Poitevin should be

15.3hh - 17hh
Medium Heavy to Heavy
70% - 90% Bulk
70% - 80% Pony Type

A Poitevin can be produced by crossing a Norweigan Fjord with a Dutch Draft

Last edited by Weaving on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Percheron

There are two types of Percheron, whose coat is black or grey: the draught type and the coach type. The draught type measures 1.60 to 1.75m and can easily weigh a tonne. Its conformation is solid, it is a traction horse with very strong steps. The coach type is lighter in its morphology. It is often larger and lighter than its draught counterpart and is mainly used for driving. Percherons are found all over the world, particularly in the United States where it is raised by 3,000 breeders.

On HWO the Percheron should be
15.1hh to 17.1hh
Medium Heavy to Heavy
70% - 90% Bulk
60% - 80% Pony Type

A Percheron can be produced by crossbreeding a Norman Cob with a Forest Horse x Belgian

Gator Vocals of Gator Vocal's Farm
Weaving of Loomis Acres
Last edited by Weaving on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Comtois

A mountain horse, the Comtois is a rustic and elegant horse of medium build (it measures between 1.50 and 1.65m and weighs between 650 and 800kg). It is most often silver bay (or, in layman’s terms, a mahogany colour with a blonde/silver mane and tail). Highly appreciated, this courageous, tough and docile horse is found in Alsace, Burgundy and in the mountainous regions of the Massif Central, Pyrenees and Alps. Furthermore, its success is such that many have been exported to Spain, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

On HWO a Comtois should be
14hh - 16hh
Medium Heavy to Heavy
65% - 85% Bulk
60% - 80% Pony Type

A Comtois can be produced by crossing a Norman Cob x Ardennais with a Percheron x Boulonnais

Kintara of Kintara's Farm
Kintara's Second Farm
Last edited by Weaving on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Trait du Nord

The Trait du Nord is a large, robust horse, short in length, powerful and with heavy bones and musculature. Its natural flexibility and commitment enable it to move with ease. The coat is bay, roan, chestnut and red-roan and sometimes iron grey or black. Of a large build, it often measures more than 1.65m and the stallions often reach a tonne. It is bred in the north of France.

On HWO the Trait du Nord should be

15.3hh - 17hh
70% to 95% Bulk
70% to 90% Pony Type

A Trait du Nord can be produced by crossing a Belgian with an Ardennais x Boulonnais

Recognised Breeders include: Weaving of Loomis Acres
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 8:30 pm

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:30 pm