Community Forum

Opinions: What Do You Look For in a Stud?

Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Opinions: What Do You Look For in a Stud?

Post by Alaina »

Once private studs are added to the game I want to start offering up some select studs in my herd for consideration. My plan is to split my studs up into different categories based on what people will be looking for when they go to select a stud for their mare. So far I have studs with good competitive ability and studs that will build quality within the breed. What else do you look for besides those? I imagine stats/HGP will be popular but I don't focus on those in my herd mainly because higher HGP doesn't always equal competitive ability and that's my primary focus in my herd.

Specializing in Kaimanawa

meaghanne
Visit My Farm

Re: Opinions: What Do You Look For in a Stud?

Post by meaghanne »

Conformation is a big one. It doesn't matter what the horses HGP is unless it's conformed to what it should be showing in. That's why I scrapped my QH mares and kept a few select stallions. I don't have the mental focus to breed from scratch, so I grabbed a few mares and bred to stallions with high conformation stats in what I need. It's my belief that with higher conformation points you can breed your horses into higher HGP as long as you're very selective.
Bar Heart Ranch |<3
Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Alaina »

meaghanne wrote:Conformation is a big one. It doesn't matter what the horses HGP is unless it's conformed to what it should be showing in. That's why I scrapped my QH mares and kept a few select stallions. I don't have the mental focus to breed from scratch, so I grabbed a few mares and bred to stallions with high conformation stats in what I need. It's my belief that with higher conformation points you can breed your horses into higher HGP as long as you're very selective.
Thanks for the input! I actually pay pretty close attention to confo as well. I agree and find if I just focus on the comments and confo in the stats I want everything else just falls into place on it's own.

Specializing in Kaimanawa

texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

As an arab breeder I go by HGP, gold/green stats, COI%, evaluation and arabian look, because most of the best arabs in game don't look like arabs at all. Then of course I go by colour, I'm trying to keep all of the genes in my genetic pool, currently I have reds, blacks, bays, dilutes,, greys, silvers, duns and appy pattern arabs).
Alpha ignis, signum astralis, flamma omega, multiversalis....
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

Oh... It's a hard question!
I stopped using other people's studs long ago. Mainly because they can't compete with my own stallions - they're too small, too low HGP, wrong conformation, wrong BR/gold/green stats. I used some Arabs, but they're too light for my purpose.
{Elite Dressage Horses} - World Record level horses made to move like Jagger.
meaghanne
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne »

Farant wrote:Oh... It's a hard question!
I stopped using other people's studs long ago. Mainly because they can't compete with my own stallions - they're too small, too low HGP, wrong conformation, wrong BR/gold/green stats. I used some Arabs, but they're too light for my purpose.
Ive gotten to that point as well, all the quarters have no butts lol. I'm also considering the idea of not studding out my horses until western sports get more popular. Once I get my competition skills up to level 10 I'll be offering high purses so hopefully that will draw more competitors
Bar Heart Ranch |<3
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

meaghanne wrote:
Farant wrote:Oh... It's a hard question!
Ive gotten to that point as well, all the quarters have no butts lol. I'm also considering the idea of not studding out my horses until western sports get more popular. Once I get my competition skills up to level 10 I'll be offering high purses so hopefully that will draw more competitors
This is a good idea. I should set up higher purse as well, I'm going to attract people in Driving ring.
But I'm getting lots of stallions every week and I don't mind to sell or stud some of them. I believe that you should find the right mare to repeat my horse's type, so I don't afraid to lose my blood.
{Elite Dressage Horses} - World Record level horses made to move like Jagger.
holly0225
Visit My Farm

Post by holly0225 »

I breed Forest Horses.
Top priority for me is HGP. Second priority is actually height. I think it's so unrealistic how there are 20hh Arabs and other mid size breeds??? Third/Fourth priority is greens/golds and color.

However, I almost never use outside studs because there are NO halfway decent forests out there. People use them as foundation horses and then they're left in the dust. I'm hoping to put out some pretty decent pures that people can use as foundies.
Diskid
Visit My Farm

Post by Diskid »

I'm trying to breed Welsh Cobs from scratch. Regardless of breed, I look for stallions that conform to breed standard/look (I too am greatly vexed by breeds that look nothing like they're real life counterpart), HGP, golds/greens, Championship titles - particularly those which have been earned in disciplines I am interested in showing my horses in.
HL121
Visit My Farm

Post by HL121 »

First I look at golds/greens/reds and breeders report, then COI%, then HGP.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 2:17 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:17 am