Community Forum

arabian x turkmene cross not producing akhal-tekes!

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
starhide
Visit My Farm

arabian x turkmene cross not producing akhal-tekes!

Post by starhide »

I've now bred two foals to two different sets of parents, one where the mother is Arab and the sire Turk, and one the other way around- all purebred- but both foals are just listed as "Arabian x Turkmene" and not Akhal-Teke ;u; What am I doing wrong?!
I have the Akhal-Teke eval book and unfortunately both foals are only 4* (too tall) but is that really what's preventing them from being listed as ATs? Do I just have to keep trying til I get a 5* and THEN will it be an AT?!
Thanks in advance!!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: arabian x turkmene cross not producing akhal-tekes!

Post by BlackOak2 »

starhide wrote:I've now bred two foals to two different sets of parents, one where the mother is Arab and the sire Turk, and one the other way around- all purebred- but both foals are just listed as "Arabian x Turkmene" and not Akhal-Teke ;u; What am I doing wrong?!
I have the Akhal-Teke eval book and unfortunately both foals are only 4* (too tall) but is that really what's preventing them from being listed as ATs? Do I just have to keep trying til I get a 5* and THEN will it be an AT?!
Thanks in advance!!
You only ever get a chance of the new breed, never a guarantee. The closer you get both parents to being 5 star, the better chance you will have.

AC arabs and turkmenes generally pop out akhals on a regular basis, it just takes some breedings.

If you seem to be having a remarkably difficult time, you can look for mares or stallions (or a mare and a stallion) that are already confirmed akhal producers. It does seem that some horses throw new breeds more often than others. Sometimes it also helps to have a taller mare and cross her to a shorter stud (even if the mare and stud are outside acceptable height limits for the akhal). I have personally had born new breeds that were 'just' outside of height limits (for instance 14.1 when the cutoff is 14), but it's rare.

Keep trying.
starhide
Visit My Farm

Post by starhide »

Huh! Definitely didn't know that.
Thanks so much! I guess I just gotta keep trying :P
Stormchase Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Stormchase Stables »

starhide wrote:Huh! Definitely didn't know that.
Thanks so much! I guess I just gotta keep trying :P
Also try breeding an Arabian x Turkmene cross to another Arab x Turk cross. The foal will definitely be an Akhal-Teke.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

In my experience, it won't. I've bred two unsuccessful tries for Cleveland Bay together (one came out too tall, the other too small) - the result was a 5* Cleveland Bay, but was listed as a cross anyway.
Stormchase Stables
Visit My Farm

Tjigra wrote:In my experience, it won't. I've bred two unsuccessful tries for Cleveland Bay together (one came out too tall, the other too small) - the result was a 5* Cleveland Bay, but was listed as a cross anyway.
What is the cross for a Cleveland Bay?
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Cleveland Bay is a 3 way cross, probably that's what makes the difference. [NAB x Arabian] x TB - I had followed the recipe and got two flukes, and then crossing the flukes I did get the 5*, but not the breed.
Anyway, [correct cross] x [correct cross] would only be the required breed if they get the 5*, not definitely.
Stormchase Stables
Visit My Farm

Tjigra wrote:Cleveland Bay is a 3 way cross, probably that's what makes the difference. [NAB x Arabian] x TB - I had followed the recipe and got two flukes, and then crossing the flukes I did get the 5*, but not the breed.
Anyway, [correct cross] x [correct cross] would only be the required breed if they get the 5*, not definitely.
Oh yes, that won't work. Only crosses like Arab x Turk or Arab x Boulonnais will work.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 9:27 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:27 pm