Community Forum

Black, black, black and.. not really black?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Black, black, black and.. not really black?

Post by Tjigra »

So I have my foals born in coloured strings, or so it seems :D I was overrun by cryptic dun palominos at one point, now I am overrun with blacks. However, they don't necessarily look the same.
Americano C

Judging by the foal picture, this one is true black, right?

Tempesta C

But this? Her foal coat is somewhere between the brownish of true black, and greyish of smokey black (and kinda a surprise anyway from a bay and a dunskin).

Gismo C

This is smokey black, right?

Curioso C

And what on earth is that?? I know he is black based and has silver, but that's not all he has, right? Looks like some more of that cryptic dun that loves to lurk around my lines, but is that it?
Aela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Black, black, black and.. not really black?

Post by Aela »

Tjigra wrote:.
1. Correct, Black
2. Smoky Black (She is quite unusual, but black foals are much darker and tend to look more purple-ish than golden brown like this case. That's why I'd argue Smoky Black)
3. Correct, Smoky Black
4. Sneaky dun is back! Curioso is Silver Grulla (sire is Silver Bay Dun)

:)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Aela wrote: 2. Smoky Black (She is quite unusual, but black foals are much darker and tend to look more purple-ish than golden brown like this case. That's why I'd argue Smoky Black)
Thanks! I wonder why is Tempesta different than others though. Could it be she carries something else that's invisible on black?
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Tjigra wrote:
Aela wrote: 2. Smoky Black (She is quite unusual, but black foals are much darker and tend to look more purple-ish than golden brown like this case. That's why I'd argue Smoky Black)
Thanks! I wonder why is Tempesta different than others though. Could it be she carries something else that's invisible on black?
She is Smoky Black, I had a few of her shade (or at least really close to) as I'm breeding for Black/Smoky Black in my Abyssinian lines and they can range from slightly dull brown/brown with a yellow touch/to near silver/grey

They are all smokys :)
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Nazarach wrote:They are all smokys :)
Thanks :) I didn't know these too come in different shades, I guess I've only meet the last version so far, the silver grey.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Tjigra wrote:
Nazarach wrote:They are all smokys :)
Thanks :) I didn't know these too come in different shades, I guess I've only meet the last version so far, the silver grey.
The silver/grey shade seems to be the most common so it's nothing unusual to be surprised :) Glad I could help a bit ^^
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 pm

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 pm