Community Forum

I apologise

Rose
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

I apologise

Post by Rose »

To the person I bought a colt off. After I had started to train this colt, who seemed promising for races, I quickly discovered that he could only handle very light work and would regain little of his energy over night. So almost without a second thought, I rehomed this beautiful young colt, whom I really had no use for. Still, I could imagine this would be offensive to the owner, and now I feel I would probably not be very happy to see this happen to a horse of my own.

Asking you all the question; what are your thoughts on 'deleting' a horse that was bred by others?
Syn
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: I apologise

Post by Syn »

I personally don't care. If I'm selling a horse it's because I no longer want or need it, what its new owner does with it is none of my concern. I got my money out of it. If I buy a horse and realize that I dun goofed and bought the wrong one or something, I'll try to resell it if I think it could be useful to someone else. If it's a really poor quality horse I'll just rehome it to save myself the headache. I buy to breed, though, so there's that.
Satinka
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Satinka »

If a Horse only regains low energy over night it mostly because hes too thin. After feeding isnt implemented yet, you have to wait some days without training, so he can gain some weight and so he will be able to train again. Young horses need some time and some training until they have enough stamina and strength to do harder training.
DreamOfSpring
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by DreamOfSpring »

Agreed. Once it's sold, I'm not too OMG you retired the horse I bred/originally had! I sell off my colts because I'm focused more on broodmare breeding, but I've also had horses just not train well (though I end up retiring them myself). It is nice to see them still be competitive/trained after they leave my stables, but if you retired them you had a reason too.
xXxDruidxXx
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by xXxDruidxXx »

At this point I'm not really bothered and doubt I ever will be unless I did an errand for someone by breeding a specific horse. Which I doubt highly. If I'm selling them it's because I don't need them anymore and/or I'm short of space, once it's sold on I don't bother with them, I don't think I'd even noticed if they'd been retired.
Icedangel11
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Icedangel11 »

I'd honestly be a little bit sad. I look back at my stallions/mares' progeny all the time and use them to reference their breeding worth. Specially if you bought and rehomed the same day, I think it'd bother me.. But not enough to actually be angry or put off on the player themselves.

Foals, though, do take a little time to regain energy, particularly young ones, since they are young and still growing. If it helps any, I always train stamina up first (working them for the longest possible time they can handle) and then go onto other things. It helps offset the annoyance of tiny gains when they DO have full energy because they can train harder when they do train. Most of my foals don't really reach the stride of training and start making good strides until 6-8 months old.
DragonFly
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by DragonFly »

It wouldnt bother me at all. As was mentioned before: the buyer bought it and the horse is theirs, I got the money I was asking for the foal. I find rehoming to be a nice way of keeping the not good enough horses off the game. The better the horses around, the better the game.
tussock
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by tussock »

You can't retire horses with offspring (unless the offspring is also deleted). So that wouldn't be a problem at this point. I don't bother much, but if I have a really, really good horse and it ends up retired because the owner didn't see it's potential I might get a little grumpy. But in the end, when I decide to sell something it's probably for a good reason and the new owner can do whatever they want with their horse.
Arabela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Arabela »

Car dealers don't get upset after they sell a car, they rub there hands together and smerk. hehe Personally, when I sell a horse it's mainly due to it not fitting my program and im happy for it to be rehomed. There is also a limited amount of room in our stables so we understand.
Rose
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Rose »

thank you for all these responses! To be honest, I probably should have taken more time to get the hang of training youngsters before I'd let them go over low energy. Although I have seen there can be major differences between horses trained under similar circumstances, which leads me to think some naturally have more energy regain than others. Either way, it was part of the learning process for me and from now on I'll be darn sure to focus on bringing up their stamina before starting full-blown training ;)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 5:50 am

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:50 am