Community Forum

Unwanted Mohawk gene

palomino.lover
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Unwanted Mohawk gene

Post by palomino.lover »

Hey, if anyone is good at breeding out specific genes then please ping me back. I have this very cute overo stud but I don't really like that he has a Mohawk and I don't want to bring mohawks into my gene pool because they are very hard to get out. If anyone is good at breeding out genes, here he is mohawk stud
I want to keep the Overo pattern but not the mohawk mane. I can set him up for stud if anyone is interested in mohawks or is willing to accept this difficult challenge. I will pay handsomely for a male or female overo without a Mohawk out of this stud. I just need one male or female with this exact coat pattern or something close to it.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Unwanted Mohawk gene

Post by BlackOak2 »

palomino.lover wrote:Hey, if anyone is good at breeding out specific genes then please ping me back. I have this very cute overo stud but I don't really like that he has a Mohawk and I don't want to bring mohawks into my gene pool because they are very hard to get out. If anyone is good at breeding out genes, here he is I want to keep the Overo pattern but not the mohawk mane. I can set him up for stud if anyone is interested in mohawks or is willing to accept this difficult challenge. I will pay handsomely for a male or female overo without a Mohawk out of this stud. I just need one male or female with this exact coat pattern or something close to it.
Mohawk is recessive. Therefore, as long as the mares are not carriers, all of his foals will be normal-maned. Alternately, if any of his foals come out with a mohawk, it means that the mare is a carrier of one mohawk gene.
What this also means, is that your line is already mohawk carriers and all of his children will at least be mohawk carriers.

Also, there is no overo yet in the game. What you're looking at is the tobiano gene at work (maybe you forgot?).

Because we don't have gene-testing yet, you will never be completely certain whether the mohawk is bred-out. You will only be able to tell if it's still there, if or when your line pops another mohawk foal.

What I can offer for you, is to simply cull out any foal that shows mohawk (when they grow up). You can breed for mane-flop to appear very early on. I've had mane-flop appear as early as 6 months. In this way, you may be able to cull any mohawks much earlier on... or rather, favor and keep-to-breed any foals that flop their manes before they're yearlings.

I hope my information helps to fix your issue. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

palomino.lover wrote:Hey, if anyone is good at breeding out specific genes then please ping me back. I have this very cute overo stud but I don't really like that he has a Mohawk and I don't want to bring mohawks into my gene pool because they are very hard to get out. If anyone is good at breeding out genes, here he is mohawk stud
I want to keep the Overo pattern but not the mohawk mane. I can set him up for stud if anyone is interested in mohawks or is willing to accept this difficult challenge. I will pay handsomely for a male or female overo without a Mohawk out of this stud. I just need one male or female with this exact coat pattern or something close to it.
I am very good at breeding the mowhawk here's but I seem to not have any more
palomino.lover
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by palomino.lover »

BlackOak2 wrote:
palomino.lover wrote:Hey, if anyone is good at breeding out specific genes then please ping me back. I have this very cute overo stud but I don't really like that he has a Mohawk and I don't want to bring mohawks into my gene pool because they are very hard to get out. If anyone is good at breeding out genes, here he is I want to keep the Overo pattern but not the mohawk mane. I can set him up for stud if anyone is interested in mohawks or is willing to accept this difficult challenge. I will pay handsomely for a male or female overo without a Mohawk out of this stud. I just need one male or female with this exact coat pattern or something close to it.
Mohawk is recessive. Therefore, as long as the mares are not carriers, all of his foals will be normal-maned. Alternately, if any of his foals come out with a mohawk, it means that the mare is a carrier of one mohawk gene.
What this also means, is that your line is already mohawk carriers and all of his children will at least be mohawk carriers.

Also, there is no overo yet in the game. What you're looking at is the tobiano gene at work (maybe you forgot?).

Because we don't have gene-testing yet, you will never be completely certain whether the mohawk is bred-out. You will only be able to tell if it's still there, if or when your line pops another mohawk foal.

What I can offer for you, is to simply cull out any foal that shows mohawk (when they grow up). You can breed for mane-flop to appear very early on. I've had mane-flop appear as early as 6 months. In this way, you may be able to cull any mohawks much earlier on... or rather, favor and keep-to-breed any foals that flop their manes before they're yearlings.

I hope my information helps to fix your issue. :D
Ok thank you!
Coda
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Coda »

palomino.lover wrote:Hey, if anyone is good at breeding out specific genes then please ping me back. I have this very cute overo stud but I don't really like that he has a Mohawk and I don't want to bring mohawks into my gene pool because they are very hard to get out. If anyone is good at breeding out genes, here he is mohawk stud
I will take him back if you like I just don't h awve much money to offer you so maybe I could change for another colt
palomino.lover
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by palomino.lover »

Coda wrote:
I will take him back if you like I just don't h awve much money to offer you so maybe I could change for another colt
I like the coat. The coat is mainly what I wanted.
Coda
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Coda »

palomino.lover wrote:
Coda wrote: I will take him back if you like I just don't h awve much money to offer you so maybe I could change for another colt
I like the coat. The coat is mainly what I wanted.
I could breed another colt and I could trade if you like
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 am

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 am