Community Forum

Any advice for hip comformation?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
meaghanne
Visit My Farm

Any advice for hip comformation?

Post by meaghanne »

I like long, sloped hips on my quarter horses per the infographic of conformations for specific sports, and I don't understand why the bottom hip appears so much longer than the top. I have the inkling that A) The hip is just a hair shorter on the horse's below, and B) The stifle on the top horse is too far back. It's probably a combination of both, but I can't seem to get away from short hips. Is part of my problem that I'm focusing on trying to keep my aesthetic conformation needs as well as raising their GP? Should I just focus on GP and BR and then bring the conformation back to where I want it? Just overwhelmed with things I don't completely understand now that I've gotten my croup heights sorted out.

Any responses are greatly appreciated. I love conformation, but I'm still pretty stupid about it.
Bar Heart Ranch |<3
HollyDolly
Visit My Farm

Re: Any advice for hip comformation?

Post by HollyDolly »

The hip length on both of these horses is very long actually. The second horse is maxed out on hip length. I think you are right about the stifle needing to be moved forward. I also think the hip angle is off.
meaghanne
Visit My Farm

Re: Any advice for hip comformation?

Post by meaghanne »

HollyDolly wrote:The hip length on both of these horses is very long actually. The second horse is maxed out on hip length. I think you are right about the stifle needing to be moved forward. I also think the hip angle is off.
I think her hip is a little too sloped as well. I've noticed after going through each horse individually to look at their stifles and noticed that was a big factor on how their hip was shaped. Although, the top horse did the best in a test reining show and that was a bit upsetting. oh well :( Thanks for the reply.
Bar Heart Ranch |<3
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 11:19 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:19 am